The Lobster Claw Nebula

crimbfighter

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
SH2-157, The Lobster Claw Nebula! Located 11,000 light years away, this is an emission nebula in the constellation Cassiopeia. Imaged last night from my Bortle 5/6 back yard under a full moon. The image is converted into a bi-color pallette, with the orange/gold colors corresponding with hydrogen gas and the blue corresponding with oxygen.

-Celestron AVX mount
-Astro-Tech AT130EDT 130mm f/7 telescope with a 0.8x reducer, making it a 728mm focal length, f/5.6 scope.
-ZWO ASI2600MC Pro cooled camera
-ZWO EAF focuser
-Optolong L-Extreme dual narrowband filter
-Pegasus Astro Mini Powerbox
-Orion 60mm guide scope
-Orion Starshoot autoguider
-Controlled with a MeLE Quieter3Q mini PC running Windows

Software
-Sequence Generator Pro for acquisition
-PixInsight and Photoshop for image processing
-PHD2 guiding software

-88 x 180sec subexposures
-calibrated with 15 each darks, flats, and dark flats
-Total integration time of 4hrs 24min

SH2-157 Lobster Claw Nebula HOO 30 August 2023.jpg

Imaging setup for reference
20230726_200301.jpg

Thanks!

I might be obsessed with them...
My dad was obsessed with them. He had a Questar with which one could count the rings around Saturn. Fond memories. Hoping some day my step-sister will let me take it out of her basement, where it just sits.

Last edited:
My dad was obsessed with them. He had a Questar with which one could count the rings around Saturn. Fond memories. Hoping some day my sister-in-law will let me take it out of her basement, where it just sits.
I have a very vivid memory of seeing Jupiter and its moons as a kid through a telescope my dad set up. It's kept me looking up since.

I'd bet there's an astronomy club somewhere near you that sets up outreach events with telescopes to look through.

SH2-157, The Lobster Claw Nebula! Located 11,000 light years away, this is an emission nebula in the constellation Cassiopeia. Imaged last night from my Bortle 5/6 back yard under a full moon. The image is converted into a bi-color pallette, with the orange/gold colors corresponding with hydrogen gas and the blue corresponding with oxygen.

-Celestron AVX mount
-Astro-Tech AT130EDT 130mm f/7 telescope with a 0.8x reducer, making it a 728mm focal length, f/5.6 scope.
-ZWO ASI2600MC Pro cooled camera
-ZWO EAF focuser
-Optolong L-Extreme dual narrowband filter
-Pegasus Astro Mini Powerbox
-Orion 60mm guide scope
-Orion Starshoot autoguider
-Controlled with a MeLE Quieter3Q mini PC running Windows

Software
-Sequence Generator Pro for acquisition
-PixInsight and Photoshop for image processing
-PHD2 guiding software

-88 x 180sec subexposures
-calibrated with 15 each darks, flats, and dark flats
-Total integration time of 4hrs 24min

View attachment 268363

Imaging setup for reference
View attachment 268364
Great shot!

This is just beautiful! I really love the coloring in this one. Amazing clarity. 👏

Great image.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back