What's new

The most boring photo subjects ever...crit needed

Bend The Light

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jun 8, 2010
Messages
2,591
Reaction score
375
Location
Barnsley, Oop-Nooerth, UK
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

I have just today moved into a studio I am sharing with 2 mates. We aim to spend some time studying and practicing before getting some paying clients. But, as I am an impatient sort of chap, I wanted to check out the set up I put up. But there was just me...so i first took a picture of the coat stand with my bag on it, then took a photo of myself.

I would like crit on the light, the background (think I see a little not-quite-white - do you?). Is there spill? Is the colour ok?

please don't crit the models...one is a right bag, and the other is an ugly bu**er! :)


test 1 by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr


Me - test by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

Cheers
 
No comments... only one suggestion... use the trimmed out face from here as your signature image ;)
 
the background looks white to me, but i see a line on the image of you, it might just be my screen but its a vertical line on the background that runs the whole image(about a half inch from the left), it looks slightly off white in color
 
the background looks white to me, but i see a line on the image of you, it might just be my screen but its a vertical line on the background that runs the whole image(about a half inch from the left), it looks slightly off white in color

Hmmm, I'll have to look again in PS...I can't see it here...not to say it isn't there. :)

Cheers
 
Can definitely see the background on the newest model. Solid white until you get to the left side. Besides that color and light looks good to me, but I'm not an expert nor do I pretend to be at all haha
I would be pleased if I paid for my portrait to be taken and this was the result, I guess I'm trying to say. (After fixing that background, of course)
 
Can definitely see the background on the newest model. Solid white until you get to the left side. Besides that color and light looks good to me, but I'm not an expert nor do I pretend to be at all haha
I would be pleased if I paid for my portrait to be taken and this was the result, I guess I'm trying to say. (After fixing that background, of course)

Thank you. Yes, I see the BG now (I am always amazed by how much is missed in PP only to be spotted when posting on here!). I suppose it is always a good thing if people would be happy to pay for it...thanks for that. :)
 
Something must be wrong with my eyes, as people keep pointing out there's some smudge or line or whatever in the - to me - purely white background and I simply fail to see that!!! :shock:

I know next to nothing about proper studio lighting, but my feeling says that lighting is pleasing and even.
Isn't that what you're looking for.
And I also quite like that first model you "hired" (not the backpack!) ... couldn't you have made him look at "me" and smile "for me"? Try again, will you? :sexywink:
 
Something must be wrong with my eyes, as people keep pointing out there's some smudge or line or whatever in the - to me - purely white background and I simply fail to see that!!! :shock:

I know next to nothing about proper studio lighting, but my feeling says that lighting is pleasing and even.
Isn't that what you're looking for.
And I also quite like that first model you "hired" (not the backpack!) ... couldn't you have made him look at "me" and smile "for me"? Try again, will you? :sexywink:

Pleasing and even light is one thing, but I think some folks look for more...shadows, definition, etc. Where this will work for some (and I KNOW that several mums are very interested in photos like these - of their kids, of course) it may not for others.

That first model is a very bad model...needs a shave...needs to lose at least 4 stone...and smile once in a while. But he won't...it's me! :)
 
One - according to my wife, vertical stripes are better, more "slimming". I know nothing of such things, but apparently the women know.;)

Two - light is good. The background doesn't bleed onto the subject, and the balance is pleasing. No crevices of dark shadow, no distracting shiny spots.

Three - you do good stuff. Looking forward to your next series.
 
One - according to my wife, vertical stripes are better, more "slimming". I know nothing of such things, but apparently the women know.;)

Two - light is good. The background doesn't bleed onto the subject, and the balance is pleasing. No crevices of dark shadow, no distracting shiny spots.

Three - you do good stuff. Looking forward to your next series.

One - I'll find some stripes...I need to slim down, and if I can still eat ice cream and chocolate, but wear different clothes then I'm up for it!

Two - Thanks. Have a long way to go but hope practice will make perfect. :)

Three - Thank you...going again tomorrow for a couple of hours...try to put some learning into practice. :)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom