The most chill squirrel in the world

Nice shot i have had them do that on our fence but they run if they even see movement near our backdoor as we dont like them as they go after our feeders and scare the birds away

@BrentC What part of the world was this taken in? I just saw several black squirrels for the first time this year in a park about 5 miles from me. Yesterday I just saw another one cross the road close to the house. They seem to be spreading rapidly.

@BrentC What part of the world was this taken in? I just saw several black squirrels for the first time this year in a park about 5 miles from me. Yesterday I just saw another one cross the road close to the house. They seem to be spreading rapidly.

They are a mutation of the Grey Squirrel. We have tons of them in Ontario, probably the highest population anywhere, but not much outside the province and not in the west. I see them everywhere, just as much as Grey squirrels. Mid-west States have small populations and also UK.

They are a mutation of the Grey Squirrel. We have tons of them in Ontario, probably the highest population anywhere, but not much outside the province and not in the west. I see them everywhere, just as much as Grey squirrels. Mid-west States have small populations and also UK.

The park I saw them in has an RV park that is a popular stop off for snowbirds headed south. I'm wondering if someone might have had a hitchhiker.

Cool! Contrary to popular belief, there are Black squirrels out here on the wet coast. and now they are inter breeding with the population of greys. with this result.

DSC_3893.jpg

DSC_3897.jpg

I've read that it is a genetic mutation that causes the black to continue to grow while subduing the gray and red. Also read that the mutation may result in higher levels resistance to disease and higher levels of testosterone making them more aggressive breeders. The resultant offspring can carry either the mutant gene, a mixture, or normal.

Most reactions

Back