SCraig

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
sc-photo-tn.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Time for a Friday evening chuckle.

I was just looking through some old digital photos and I ran across this one I thought I'd share simply because it is SOOOOOOOO BAD!

According to the date I put in the corner (no EXIF data then) I took it on February 9, 2003 and it had to have been taken with my old Sony DSC-P50 camera since that was the first one I owned. In its day it was actually a decent low-end consumer grade (i.e. "Cheap"!) digital camera. I think I paid around $200 for it so it wasn't the bottom end of the pile, but close to it.

I remember the first night I had it I was playing with it. Fresh AA batteries installed and I took about a dozen available light shots and then a couple of flash shots and it quit working. I fooled with it and fooled with it, and finally put some more batteries in it and it came back to life. That's when I got a glimmering of a realization, and to prove it I shot a flash shot. Then another. Then a couple more. And that was about it for those batteries. About a half dozen flash shots would exhaust fresh AA batteries ;)

The little statue in the photo is in the corner of my neighbor's yard (still!) so it was presumably zoomed out to it's 3x maximum zoom and it's soft as oatmeal. It is also at FULL resolution of a whopping 2.1 megapixels at which it generates a 1024x768 JPEG file. I have no idea what the ISO or other exposure information was, nor do I know what time of day it was. Since it was snowing (I know that it was still snowing based on other shots on each side of this one) it was probably overcast, but that's still no excuse for the horrendous noise in the shot. Also if you look at the bush right behind the statue and along the fence wire you can see that the CA is terrible! There is as much purple fringing as there is green in the bushes.

It's interesting to contrast this camera to the ones I have now and look at how far technology has changed in the past decade and wonder what it will be like a decade from now. Will we be chuckling about the pathetic 16mp cameras of today and the limitations of the firmware. The lousy image quality we had to live with and the pathetic battery life. Or have we started to reach the limits of what can be accomplished with digital gear? I somehow don't think so and it will be fascinating to see what comes to pass.

So here it is in all it's glory. Digital Photography circa 2003. Have fun with it ;)

snow022.jpg

C&C

Your noise level is high ... you should set the ISO lower.
Focus is off.
Looks like a cheap kit lens, get yourself a nice 50mm f/1.4

I remember using the Casio QV10 in 1996 ... wow that was a camera 250K sensor !!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back