What's new

The Rose

ArkansasBandit

TPF Noob!
Joined
Feb 3, 2007
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
Location
Arkansas
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This rose has been dead for 8 months but I got really interested in trying to get a good picture out of it, what do you think?

RedRose.jpg
 
It does look quite dead, and a little depressing. Technically, it is good, but the subject matter is kind of creepy.
 
Nice and sharp. Good DOF. Good colors too, especially considering how dried roses can go blah as they dry.

I don't find it creepy at all. I wonder what occasion it was saved from.
 
Well, "sad" might be the word (it would go well on a condolence card), "creepy" it is not, I think. What was the original photo like, where you had not applied any selective colouring? Was it too bright to transport notions of transience and death?

As to the composition: I somewhat deplore the bright and out-of-focus little flowers in the foreground. They cast those strong shadows produced by the on-camera flash onto the petals of the rose, and those shadows tend to kill any photo. On-camera flash should be avoided for most of the time, other than as fill-flash in actually quite bright situations.
 
Thank you for your comments and advice. I am the poster's brother and did the editing of the photo.

The original was not all that bright; the selective coloring is just the result of me being bored and wanting to try my hand at photo editing.:mrgreen:
 
Roses are always special, even the old "dead" ones. I like the selective colouring and hope to try my hand at it someday. Is it time consuming?
 
Time spent depends on the subject you're coloring....i think that makes sense.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom