What's new

The Speed of Light - Redux

Roy Hubbard

TPF Noob!
Joined
May 31, 2009
Messages
60
Reaction score
0
Location
Poconos
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Revival of a photo I took last year while I was dabbling with HDR. I didn't do much retouching beyond HDR conversion last year, but this is a more accurate representation of how it felt to me at 2 in the morning last June.

8 exposures between 30sec and 1/2sec @f/5.6 ISO 100

Combined and processed using Photoshop CS3's native Merge to HDR function.

3657865500_95a6b5f07a_o.jpg
 
Looks neat to me.....wish I could do stuff like that......MIke
 
nice, what filter did you use during edit in ps if you dont mind me asking? the lights look great.
 
nice, what filter did you use during edit in ps if you dont mind me asking? the lights look great.
Glad you like it!

The processing was mostly a bunch of curves adjustment layers set to different blending modes with lots of masking. I used a high pass filter for sharpening, and applied a technique called the Orton Effect. The lights are able to look the way they do because of the detail preserved by the darker exposures.

I just realized how much I suck at explaining my workflow :meh:
 
I'm usually not a huge fan of HDR, but I really like this shot. I wouldn't have thought to use Orton here, but I think it works really well. Nice job.
 
I'm usually not a huge fan of HDR, but I really like this shot. I wouldn't have thought to use Orton here, but I think it works really well. Nice job.
Thanks very much for your thoughts.

Yeah, HDR has picked up a certain stigma with all the wild tone mapping it's often associated with. The pure technique itself is a very effective means of pushing the limitations of the medium.
 
Roy
I like that photo as well. It reminds me of a stretch of the Garden State by Newark.
And I can feel it is 2am :D
 
Roy
I like that photo as well. It reminds me of a stretch of the Garden State by Newark.
And I can feel it is 2am :D
Maybe I'll have to give that spot a visit :D

I love this kind of shot.
 
Very cool. Great job!
I love all the subtle color differences. You don't expect it...
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom