What's new

The Super Moon, not so super

vipgraphx

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Dec 1, 2011
Messages
2,415
Reaction score
440
Location
Some Where In the Desert
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here is my shot of the "Super Moon" Not sure if I did not get it at the right hour I went outside at 11:30 Pacific time. I did not appear any bigger than any other full moon so maybe I missed it.

Here is what I got.

2 exposures on of the moon with showing detail and then one of the of the sky at 10 sec shutter to get the star detail. I then masked in the moon with the detail


super moon pano by VIPGraphX, on Flickr


Cropped


super moon zoom by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

I noticed that with the D700 I was not able to get as close crop with the 70-200 as I did when I used the D7000 with the 70-200 thus less detail in the moon, bummer. One dis-advantage moving up to full frame is at the long end.
 
Last edited:
The supermoon is only "super" to view when close to the horizon. Something about the angle and the horizon and atmosphere and some such. It's still larger, but without something to compare to, it's hard to tell. So, the best time to shoot was at moonrise at 8:35 pacific time. Really, the photos of the moon by itself give no indication that it was a "super moon." That being said, the photos are nice in their own right. And, I should clarify that my own shots mostly failed at showing the "superness" of the moon. The window of opportunity was very small...
 
Liked the first image more; in the second, the moon is too centered

Regards :D
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom