What's new

Thick grass wall near waterfall

soar3e

TPF Noob!
Joined
May 4, 2013
Messages
19
Reaction score
1
Location
Bucharest
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey,

Here is a photo shot with my Nikon D40 and Nikkor 18-55mm ED II. This is my first DSLR camera, bought second hand about one year ago, but I just started using it recently. I am now trying to figure out how everything works, the controls and the basic stuff about photography.

The photo was shot at f/5.6, ISO 320, 1/60 sec outdoor, daytime. I think I was in apperture priority mode, since I did not know how to use the manual mode.

Feedback will be much appreciated.

$thick grass near waterfall.webp
 
Last edited:
What waterfall? I see a distracting girl in pink shorts.

Sorry, but I am not a fan of this photo at all.

It is like you used a shallow DOF just because you can.
 
I think I see what appears to be water between the grass and the pink shorts lady but its all blurry so not quite sure.You have Zero Depth of field beyond the first patch of grass.
 
Where I am from we call that kind of grass "moss". Anywayyyyy...the picture does have very shallow depth of field, which is a really cool thing sometimes. And it's great to be able to produce pictures with shallow depth of field. In this case though, the out of focus parts of the image do not seem to really come together to make an interesting picture. But that is not to say that one could NOT have been made...if the out of focus background would have been a simpler scene, like say, two lovers kissing, or two people holding hands, then the out of focus part that was "hinted at" would have helped to make a good picture. But the waterfall, and the woman in the shorts, who seems to be taking a picture on a cell-phone camera??? That's not making a very interesting "picture" to me.

You have however, found one of the keys to making shallow DOF pictures with the D40 and the 18-55 zoom though!!! CLose subject/far subject in back, f/5.6....
 
Hi all,

Thanks for the constructive criticism, I really appreciate it. I had absolutely no composition idea in mind when I took this one so I totally understand your comments. I was just trying to get along with the settings of the camera and wanted to capture the moss (thanks Derrel, english is not my mother tongue :)) which looked really nice.
 
I would have reduced the color on the skirt of the girl, shes very distracting. And the green is a little too...well green i think a little less saturation as well ^^ Props though!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom