Thinkin About A Tokina 11-16mm f2.8

newb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As the tittle says. The particular piece Im considering is lightly used and comes with everything including the original box. Ill be using it for landscape shots on my D5000. Im aware Ill loose auto focus with this lens, but that doesnt seem like a big deal. The seller is asking $550 firm. Input please. :)

buy it new at B&H

554036.jpg

I would go new unless I am saving a few hundered bucks! Thanks Tulsa!!! Love the L lense, B&H has this Toki for $599 so why buy used??? Also I am not a TOKINA Fan...

Tokina | 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X 116 Pro DX Autofocus | ATX116PRODXN

Also I might have missed it but are you shooting on cropped or FF? That does make a difference.

D5000 is a crop sensor. This lens is amazing. It has nothing but good remarks. I would def recommend this lens. It is next on my list of lenses.

Great lens from what I've read. I wanted to get one for quite some time but haven't got around to it. Like mentioned, it won't AF on your D5000, but on a lens that wide AF isn't as crucial. It's probably pretty easy to focus manually.

I would just buy it new. For $50 more you get a warranty. If Tokina is anything like Nikon, their warranties don't transfer. If it was significantly cheaper then used would be the better option.

I don't understand why people try to sell used items for only slightly cheaper than what you can buy them for new. I see this all the time on Craigslist. General rule of thumb is once it's purchased off the store shelves it loses 10%, and that's for a product that hasn't been opened yet. Since it's been used, and (most likely) no longer has a warranty, it's worth even less.

I wouldn't give him more than $450 for it, even if it was flawless. I'd rather spend the extra and get a warranty and piece of mind.

^^^Does it differ from the Canon model? B/c for Canon the Tokina 11-16 has AF, but is a non-USM.

Yeah buy new , I paid 560 for mine new with 3 year warranty.

It's really nice and chunky. And like dhilberg above said , with that much depth of field , focusing adjustments are not a big problem.

I would have to agree with the new recommendation, not saving enough to warrant the lack of warranty. I have been following ebay for this lens for some time and find it holds its value, due to not finding it "hundreds of dollars" cheaper used. I have a Nikon F5 that I would like to have an ultra wide for also so I am leaning toward the Sigma 15-30mm or 12-24, but they are not the 2.8 low light that this lens is, so I might go the DX vs. the FX "ultra wide", good luck on which ever you decide.

Great lens from what I've read. I wanted to get one for quite some time but haven't got around to it. Like mentioned, it won't AF on your D5000, but on a lens that wide AF isn't as crucial. It's probably pretty easy to focus manually.

I would just buy it new. For $50 more you get a warranty. If Tokina is anything like Nikon, their warranties don't transfer. If it was significantly cheaper then used would be the better option.

I don't understand why people try to sell used items for only slightly cheaper than what you can buy them for new. I see this all the time on Craigslist. General rule of thumb is once it's purchased off the store shelves it loses 10%, and that's for a product that hasn't been opened yet. Since it's been used, and (most likely) no longer has a warranty, it's worth even less.

I wouldn't give him more than $450 for it, even if it was flawless. I'd rather spend the extra and get a warranty and piece of mind.

I would have to agree with the new recommendation, not saving enough to warrant the lack of warranty. I have been following ebay for this lens for some time and find it holds its value, due to not finding it "hundreds of dollars" cheaper used. I have a Nikon F5 that I would like to have an ultra wide for also so I am leaning toward the Sigma 15-30mm or 12-24, but they are not the 2.8 low light that this lens is, so I might go the DX vs. the FX "ultra wide", good luck on which ever you decide.

He says its only 2 months old, so the warranty is still in place, but I too doubt that it is transferable.

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I will spend the extra for a new one.

Yeah buy new , I paid 560 for mine new with 3 year warranty.

It's really nice and chunky. And like dhilberg above said , with that much depth of field , focusing adjustments are not a big problem.

Where did you buy for $560?

i have a student who recently purchased this lens and brought some of the images to class last night.

very sharp images, and she is very happy as well.

so does this lens have autofocus? (so confused haha)

It has auto focus, but not on the D3000, D5000 and a few others right?

It will autofocus on the D90/D80/D70 bodies and up. It won't AF on D40/D60/D3000/D5000.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back