Thinking about selling some Nikon SLR bodies (film) and lenses...

PatrickHMS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.hmscoatings.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have some Nikon film stuff around that is never ever used, thinking about selling it, but haven't established values yet. Not really sure how to do that.

Have gone totally digital, costs to do much with film as a hobby are just too expensive for me to be willing to pay for processing involved. For the difference is processing costs, digital images are just fine for these old eyes.

I note the prices for used stuff on Adorama and B&H, but then I see some of the prices the same stuff sells for on eBay...

Trying to determine fair prices for this stuff, what should I use as a guideline to do that?

Camera Bodies ~

Nikon F4 - absolutely mint condition!

Nikon FM2N, (black and silver) late serial #, ABSOLUTELY MINT condition

Nikon N6006, very very nice condition

Nikon 8008 (2 of them), one is like new, the other one is still better than average.

Nikon Mount Lenses I could part with ~

Nikkor AF 70-210mm f/4-5.6, has a Nikon close-up No 5t filter, a Tiffen 1-A filter, and a hood with it. Lens is in great shape

Nikkor AF 24-50mm f/3.3-4.5, with Nikon HB-3 hood. Very nice condition.

Tokina (Nikon Mount) AF 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5, with Tiffen 1-A filter. Very nice condition.

Nikkor AF 35-70mm f/3.3-4.5, again, nice.

Sigma AF 70-210mm (forget what aperture, but not fast lenses), two of them. Both are in nice condition.

There may be more later, but where do I go to establish a FAIR market value for stuff like this? I know it's only worth what someone will pay, but HAS to be worth more than eBay, but maybe not a much as seen on Adorama and B&H.

Any feedback anyone might have can either be given here, or you can message me privately..

Thanks

How much for the N8008 ?

Not sure what a fair price is, I see them going on eBay for low (lower than I would sell for) prices, see them priced on B&H for much higher (higher than I would expect to get) prices, so it should fall somewhere in the middle between those.

I am thinking about posting a new thread listing everything, and do like many on here do, to ask for best fair offer, or something.

I have a ton of film stufff, some not even listed in the first post in this thread. Just want to get fair prices for the stuff, but not really sure how to determine what "fair prices" is...

Thanks for inquiring!

I am about to give this up.

I have had some polite inquiries, and dealt with those politely, but one guy from here is bombarding me with objections about my not knowing WHAT my Nikon film stuff is worth.

Maybe I am stupid, but I really don't know. I do know that it should be worth more than some of the lowball prices I see on eBay, but not worth as much as I see for used equipment on B&H or Adorama. I was trying to find a middle-ground, somewhere in the middle, but I am getting creamed by one person who dislikes what I am doing.

I once had hoped to find TPH as a nice friendly place, but not so sure right now.

I have 8 Nikon film bodies, and 9 lenses, 3 strobes, a battery pack, some connectors, soft boxes, and other stuff, and thought someone on here who shoots film might appreciate getting some of it...

...but I can't sell them here because I am not an expert on their current fair market values.

I see others listing for "best offer", and don't know why I am getting creamed by this guy (won't mention his name)for trying to do the exact same thing others have done or are doing...

But it is MY fault because I don't really honestly know what some of it is really worth, and asking an honest question pisses someone else off.

Geesh!

This is what I do ....

Note pricing from major retailers on the used equipment.
Do this for as many retailers you can find.

Do a search on eBay "completed" listings for the same equipment.
Note the price they sold for.

Then you can figure out a what you are willing to sell them for.

If you post the items with your pricing here, you will probably get lower offers ... but it is ultimately up to you on the value.

If I were you, I would take a deeeep breath and name a price. Just look around at the sources previously identified and try the already mentioned tactics. It works the same as pricing anything else. You might get more realistic offers if you give people a starting point. However, this does not warrant being heckled by some angry nikon lover, so try to ignore the unfortunate souls of the world.

Hi Patrick! Wondering what kind of strobes and battery pack you have...

Thanks!

JC

Passing interest in the F4 price from over here...

Not sure what a fair price is, I see them going on eBay for low (lower than I would sell for) prices, see them priced on B&H for much higher (higher than I would expect to get) prices, so it should fall somewhere in the middle between those.

I am thinking about posting a new thread listing everything, and do like many on here do, to ask for best fair offer, or something.

I have a ton of film stufff, some not even listed in the first post in this thread. Just want to get fair prices for the stuff, but not really sure how to determine what "fair prices" is...

Thanks for inquiring!

Well, if you don't know what your stuff is worth, you were on the right track. Even if you don't like selling & buying on Ebay, it is still probably one of the greatest marketing research tools ever creating. Do a search for each of your items, bookmark a few, note what condition they are in, and then see what they go for. You can see in real time what people are willing to pay for given items.

EDIT/

Here's some examples....If your FM2n is still in pretty good shape, they are still worth a decent amount. Don't let yourself get ripped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-FM2n-FM2-n-35mm-MF-SLR-bm374q_W0QQitemZ310119546830QQcmdZViewItemQQptZFilm_Cameras?hash=item310119546830&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-FM2n-FM2-...3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:1|39:1|240:1318

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back