Thoughts on Style

Bo4key

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm finding that after a few months of learning photography and taking photo's I'm developing a style to portraits that I enjoy. I'm just wondering on what everyone else thinks.

I'll like the feel of getting a close up candid of someone and I understand that it isn't for everyone.

Thoughts? Any other C&C?

Reflecting by Boaketography, on Flickr

I've been doing a lot of B&W conversion and taking shots with B&W in mind, is this a phase everyone goes through?

Here's another example I took at the Zoo a couple months ago...

Through the glass by Boaketography, on Flickr

I feel like the eyes are the subject in this shot and everything else just makes up the background or filler.

Candid shots have always been my favorite.

On #1 I can't tell if your DOF is too shallow, or if it's because it focused a bit too close, on his hair. Sharp hair but soft facial hair are the first things I see when I look at it.

I agree though... something about candid B&W does it for me.

I'm having a hard time getting sharp focus when I pick my focus point, depress the shutter and recompose. Is this due to the too shallow DOF(shooting wider apertures), is it the lens, or do I just need to shoot more? I've been noticing it a lot lately.

What lens are you shooting with?

There are quite a few articles saying that when you recompose you end up throwing off your distance just enough to throw off your focus. Can you get the right spot by switching to single point AF? I started shying away from recomposing whenever possible and did notice a difference.

I've been trying to do this more and more. The problem is with taking candids, I don't have a lot of time to change the AF point. Maybe I should default to one of the ones off center since I compose my subjects either frame right or left anyways.

I feel like the eyes are the subject in this shot and everything else just makes up the background or filler.

The eyes are very dark and part of the background is the lightest thing in the picture so my eyes inevitably frift to the background.
The eye and face, imo, are way too dark.

The eyes are very dark and part of the background is the lightest thing in the picture so my eyes inevitably frift to the background.
The eye and face, imo, are way too dark.

I see that now, looks like it's back to photoshop for me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back