What's new

Thoughts on the EF 28 f/1.8 USM?

TheBiles

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jul 13, 2010
Messages
869
Reaction score
69
Location
MCB Quantico
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I love my nifty fifty, but it's a little long on a crop body, and I was thinking about getting some more fast glass. The wide-angle is definitely a must, and it seems like the best option without dropping a grand on the 35mm L. Does anyone have any experience with this lens? I especially need the speed for chasing my toddler around inside without using my flash and some nighttime landscapes to really get the stars without trails. Thoughts/opinions?
 
I had this lens and it didn't impress me, so I eventually upgraded to a Zeiss 35 1.4. It was decently sharp, but not really great, and had noticeable barrel distortion. The corners wide open were not sharp at all. I also thought it would be a great lens to shoot the stars, and the center of it was, but the corners had lots of coma. The contrast/color rendition was alright, but not great. Overall it was very a mediocre lens to spend $500 on, didn't seem worth it to me. Aside from it being 1.8, I don't think it will offer you anything your 17-40 doesn't already get you. Unfortunately I don't have an alternative to offer you either. Sigma's 30mm 1.4 suffers from a very similar range of issues from what I've read. I initially chose it because it seemed like the best thing without going to a 24L or 35L, and perhaps it was, but it stayed in my bag a lot. If you can get one used for cheap, then it's probably worth it. It's not that it's a bad lens, far from it, I just really don't think it's a $500 lens.
 
I had this lens and it didn't impress me, so I eventually upgraded to a Zeiss 35 1.4. It was decently sharp, but not really great, and had noticeable barrel distortion. The corners wide open were not sharp at all. I also thought it would be a great lens to shoot the stars, and the center of it was, but the corners had lots of coma. The contrast/color rendition was alright, but not great. Overall it was very a mediocre lens to spend $500 on, didn't seem worth it to me. Aside from it being 1.8, I don't think it will offer you anything your 17-40 doesn't already get you. Unfortunately I don't have an alternative to offer you either. Sigma's 30mm 1.4 suffers from a very similar range of issues from what I've read. I initially chose it because it seemed like the best thing without going to a 24L or 35L, and perhaps it was, but it stayed in my bag a lot. If you can get one used for cheap, then it's probably worth it. It's not that it's a bad lens, far from it, I just really don't think it's a $500 lens.

Exactly the type of impression that I was looking for! Thank you very much. I only wish I could find a good lens for astrophotography on my 60D. I don't intend on moving to full-frame until the 5D MkIII is out, so I'm pretty limited in the noise performance department. Taking a camping trip to the middle of nowhere and spending the night doing landscapes is fairly high on my to-do list. Definitely looking for any impressions that anyone has in this area.
 
Just save your pennies and get a 24L, about as good as it gets for fast wide-angles. Or get the 35L (or the Zeiss 35), and it gets a little better at the expense of some width.
 
Yep, Analog's right on the money. Wide open it's horrendous at the edges, and given the 1.8 is probably the only reason to go for this particular lens it's kind of a pig in a poke, sadly. Both the 'L's mentioned (24 and 35) are great pieces of kit right thru the range, but then you tend to get what you pay for.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom