Photos NOT OK to edit
What do you guys think?

f2lj6b.jpg

1/3

10o34li.jpg

2/3

4uge0y.jpg

3/3

I like the first one, but the other two just feel like snapshots to me. #2 has some weird conflicting lighting going on (tungsten and flash?) and #3 just doesn't strike me as interesting, though you did a nice job with the DOF even if it's a touch shallow.

Surf the People forum here. Youll learn where you went wrong. :thumbup:

Ill let someone else take this one.

Mark

the first one is a little interesting... i like the second and third one the best I like the pose in the second one and i like how you used the rule of thirds in the third one and how you didn't have the starbucks logo strait on but turned slightly

The remark about the "conflicting" lights makes me wonder: how bad is this?
I mean, let's assume you have people in a restaurant, daylight falls in through the windows, but as the sun is setting, they have already switched on their lights. You now get the two of them if you want to take a photo of a person. Is that a total "no-no"?

I believe that in studio photography or photos that are supposed to be published (more published than showing them in a forum such as this one, that is), it IS a no-no. But is any person photo automatically bad when there's mixed light?

1) Unflattering in almost all ways, and just nothing to look at...no environment, his head's cut off at the top, and he looks scraggly and the "portrayal" of the man is just not dignified, studied, or engrossing. He just is not shown in a favorable manner...it looks like a grab shot,and not a really interesting one either.

2) The mixed light looks like TV screen, a big one, and some indoor lights. She's pretty,and interesting to look at. LaFoto's questions about the mixed light deserve some consideration. I think the answer is that mixed lighting is neither good nor bad, inherently, but it's good when it's good, and it's bad when it's bad. In this case, it's just not flattering her natural skin tones...cool,blue lighting with a pretty,young woman posed like this doesn't seem to be working...I dunno....cool equates to icy, to, well, cool, and she's trying to look pretty, and maybe a slight bit sultry. For me, the lighting looks too cold,and works against her expression.

3). Mmmm,Starbucks coffee drinks! I wish the label were turned more fully toward the camera, and that the guy in the background were to be shown not so blown out....if he were shown a slight bit more clearly, even hinted at a bit more, I think the idea of "coffee shop" would come through more clearly.

@Derrel: Thank you for stating what I couldnt about the man in the first one. I didnt know if that would have followed etiquette. :thumbup:

@abnormalreply: What camera/lens did you use for the set? Were they all shot in full auto?

I completely agree, 100% with Derrel's comments. All of them. I agree that cross lighting isnt always bad, too. In this photo, however, it is. Its very unsightly. It is making everything in the photo unnecessarily blue. Its also a little harsh, I might add. Id like to add that I think the background is a little too involved in this photo also. A lion blanket doesnt exactly scream "look at the model" to me. I also think it would have been more interesting if you could see more of her legs. Or at least enough of them as to not cut off where they are bending. It really bugs me that they cut off at the bend, but maybe thats just me.

As for the Starbucks shot, I think you missed focus a little. Either that, or the camera was shaken while exposing. I like how the man in the back is blurred. This not so much being because it helps the photo technically, but because he is positioned in a very well...I dont really know the word for it...Ill just stick with 'unflattering' as has been used so much before..pose. If he were sitting a little more dignified, I dont think it would have been so bad for me.

So, for the future, try to get better lighting. Whether it be in the fashion of the sun at the right time, or moving around an indoor light, or even moving your subject around an indoor light. A single, small source..like a lightbulb, positioned close to your subject will create a very harsh light. Something to create very prominent glint and shine (highlights) on places where you wouldnt normally want them. Also, never use a television for light if the television isnt a part of the photo. It just doesnt work.

Try to get people to pose in a way that will fit their environment. If they are in a social place, have them posed in a socially-acceptable manner. That being said, its really your call when youre not in a social environment.

Im sure others will leave better comments on this after me, but I hoped I helped a little.

Mark

Most reactions

New Topics

Back