Time for a new lens (or more)

keaja

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Well last week my quantary lens crapped out on me, It is jammed up, I am wondering if it had anything to do with me dropping it :lol: It was 28-90mm for my Nikon 65, it came free with my Nikon. I can have it repaired because it should be covered under the warranty I got when I got it at ritz. After some thinking, I was thinking maybe it was time to move up to a higher quality lens for my close up work.
Right now I am left with a Nikon 70mm-300mm lens for my Nikon N65 which I have been pretty happy with.
I have been looking around for a new lens, and frankly, its just over whelming. Most of my subjects would be of inflight cockpit shots, and aircraft sitting on the tarmac. Since I would be taking alot of cockpit shits, and shots of aircraft sitting on the ground, I was thinking a wide angel lens might be very handy.
I was wondering if I should get a Wide Angel lens for the cockpit, a 50mm for the aircraft on the tarmac and other work (voodoo has told me that a 50mm is a great lens and they are pretty cheap at under 100), and an adjustable lens for all the inbetween.
However I dont know if I should be looking at seperate lenses or one lens to do it all. So some guideance on this would be much appricated.

Thanks a bunch,
Jason

Hey!!!

I have a N75, and it came with that Crappy quantarray. I ditched it the first chance I could get. your best bet is to go with the Nikkor 50mm F1.8.

that lens is a bad bad mamba jamba. i have it. I pray to it like an ancient tiki god.

md

I dont know what I would do without you guys! I did some looking around on B&H and I think I got myself a pretty sweet setup in the shopping basket.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...Q=&sku=800346341&is=USE&si=feat#goto_itemInfo

&

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart&A=details&Q=&sku=247091&is=GREY

What do you guys think of possibly getting both of those? Would that 24mm be wide enough for cockpit shots?
And would I be stupid for buying two fixed position lenses and not just one like 24-70mm lens?

Thanks!

a 50mm is the photographers standard tool

i for one have never used a 50mm. it all depends on what kind of work you're doing. the problem with a "standard" or "normal" lens is that you have to use it straight on. otherwise you will get a bit of barrel or perspective distortion if you shoot at a low or high angle. actually, a 70 or 80mm lens is closer to the "normal" view. i do own a 50mm, and i use it as a loupe. there is no standard equipment -- just the equipment that works best for your type of photography.

for aircraft photographs, you can't go wrong with a wide angle lens. i don't know what nikon has, but if you can get around a 17-80 or 135, that would be all you need.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back