Tip: A Good Deal Online

pugnacious33

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
soundinsights.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been looking hard for a mint cond. used Canon 100 Macro. There are many on ebay, but I keep losing the bids because i'm suck at ebay, lol. KEH has several but they want too much. The ones on ebay are going for between 450 and 500. Then I found usedcameras.com . They have a mint cond. lens for 540, but if you enter PopPhoto1 in the promotional code box, you get 10 percent off your entire purchase, so I got it for 485, not bad, especially since they offer a no questions asked 60 day warranty. It'll be here on wed. so i'll let you know how it looks. Just thought i'd pass this on, not sure how long that promo thing will last.

Thanks for that, much appreciated!

I've found the best way to win at eBay is to bid within the last few seconds of the auction ending. I think they call it "sniping." :lol:

Yeah, I think there is even software that does it for you. I think that with some of the good quality camera gear, alot of the stuff is being sold by pro shops who are purposely running up the prices. I just wasn't seeing the deals. If I can get it from a dealer who is willing to offer a warranty, to hell with ebay, hehe.

I've found the best way to win at eBay is to bid within the last few seconds of the auction ending. I think they call it "sniping." :lol:

check out esnipe.com --- they do the sniping for you and it's dirt cheap. I've used it several times successfully for camera equipment

Totally. I've only ever bought a couple of things on eBay, all of them things I had a hard time finding elsewhere. I do go there a lot to check out prices on stuff though. It's rare to find super good deals, most of it gets bidded way up to where it's the same price or only a smidge cheaper than buying a used item from a local person on Craigslist or through a used dealer like Adorama.

check out esnipe.com --- they do the sniping for you and it's dirt cheap. I've used it several times successfully for camera equipment

Interesting, thanks for the tip.

If you are shopping for used lenses on Ebay spend a a few minutes shopping for used cameras. I got 2 lenses one of which was my 50mm 1.8, a flash unit that works and a film camera that does a great job collecting dust for $34.77!

If you are shopping for used lenses on Ebay spend a a few minutes shopping for used cameras. I got 2 lenses one of which was my 50mm 1.8, a flash unit that works and a film camera that does a great job collecting dust for $34.77!

He's right, look at completed sales for something you want to get an idea.

Sometimes a camera that has a really nice lens goes for less than the same type eBay listings for the lens only. You can usually resell and get at least $30-$40 for the camera body to reduce your effective cost for the lens you wanted.

It may be a long shot, but you could try a site like ebay search tool. Save ebay searches, get notified by email. (typojoe.com, etc) to search ebay for cameras that have misspelled titles. They won't be seen by most people searching so it should be easier to find a good deal.

The site also gives you the option of saving your favorite searches so you get an e-mail when there's a new match. This works best for "Buy It Now"s but is good for auctions too.

Whenever you send a question to a seller, use the "Ask a question" link that is on a page of another item they're selling that you're not interested in.

Maybe send the seller an offer to end the auction early. All they can do is say no.

As already mentioned, snipe any auction that you bid on- either do it yourself or use a sniping service (hidbid.com, auctionsniper.com, etc.)

Ebay Bing cashback is at 10% right now.

If you want a deal and don't mind using patience, I take BHphoto's price and take an additional percentage off 10-20%. I then just on ebay and set my max bid on auctions of said item taking an additional 10-20% depending on condition. I almost always eventually get that item for a good price... generally below my max bid. It just takes time. Set and forget. Of course there are items that require a bit more research than this... especially items that depreciate fairly quickly... or easily found cheaper elsewhere.. or difficult to find at all. Like items that is vintage or no longer sold new (like 80% of my purchases).

Auctions that are sniped are of no concern because generally they go for more than I'm willing to pay. Honestly, ebay's form of auction isn't the proper format (mimicking a real auction house). The auction should continue as long as there are incoming bids on the item. Better for buyers who are reconsidering the recent higher bid and Better for the seller who would get more for their item as the bids keep moving.

If you want to pay $A but willing to snipe to $A+B, then why not just set the max bid to $A+B? Life simplified.

Most reactions

Back