Tips on spooling a steel reel?

My best tip, if you are having difficulties using steel reels, is to toss them and use good quality plastic reels such as those from Paterson or Jobo. Plastic reels are so cheap these days that the "wet reel" issue is no problem -- just get some spare reels and use a dry one when needed.

One caveat: Years ago Diafine warned not to use plastic reels with it as this could affect the developer. But, I've never seen any problem using good quality plastic reels with Diafine nor have I heard of anyone else having any problems along this line. I assume this warning only applied to certain early plastic reels made years ago.

Last edited:
When I started developing at a coop, I used steel reels since that was how I was taught in college and it was all I knew. It took me forever to load them and people passing by the darkroom would usually hear random swearing and foot stomping even after I tried finding my happy place. When I started developing at home, I bought a steel reel and tank as well as a plastic reel set. The steel reel/ tank got used once and I'm ready to list it on ebay. I hate the thing with a passion. Every time I use it I get negatives that stick together and I shed tears. My tip is to stay away from steel reels.

A few tips. I make sure all is dry. I use the "roll" method. Once the film is hooked in the middle, set the reel on the table top and push the film on as the reel rolls along the table at 6-8" lengths. It helps greatly that to use only Hewes steel reels. They are far the best reels ever made.
Practice of course is key, do it a couple of times in the light then go dark, repeat a few times, this might help know what it looks like as well feeling.

Most reactions

Back