TLR starter kit

Jus7 A Phas3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I've been looking into getting a TLR camera for quite some time not and I was lookong ebay and thought this is some good stuff start with

To start off

The camera: http://cgi.ebay.com/KODAK-VINTAGE-R...ryZ11721QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The Film: http://cgi.ebay.com/10-x-Lucky-SHD1...oryZ4204QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and the light meter: http://cgi.ebay.com/WESTON-MASTER-I...ryZ88670QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Would this be a good started kit or would you recomend something else? Im on a tight budget.

Thanks for your help.

-Mike

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Someone help me out.

That's a 620 camera, not a 120. Maybe it would be better to start off with a camera that took 120 film. It may be dificult to get a decent Yashica Mat for that price, but Seagulls go for around $50. I have no experience of the Seagull, so it might be worth doing a Google and getting some opinions.

That Lucky film isn't fantastic - it has character, however. Its anti-halation layer isn't very good, so bright objects have a halo around them. I bought 20 rolls as a trial, and didn't use them all. If I still have them you can have them. You can get Arista EDU film from Freestyle (www.freestylephoto.biz) for about the same price.

If the photocell in that Weston is still functional $10 doesn't seem too bad a price, but I have no experience of that particular meter.

Keep your eyes out for a nice Yashicamat. Working cameras are going cheap... about $100. Many need some maintenance but those can be bought for under $50.

The other great professioanl camera selling for very reasonable prices are the Mamiya C330 TLRs. These are still getting good money but with the buid quality of these cameras you'll be getting your money worth. Lenses are interchangeable and all are top quality glass.

Once you get into Mamiya C TLRs... you might consider for a few bucks more a Bronica ETR series 645 SLR. Now these are real beauties n puts you in a different catagory of MF. They are beautifully made cameras, handel nice, n are very reliable. Lenses n accesories are faily cheap in comparrison to other MFs. These are going for $300 with prism, backs n lens. Lenses are redily available, faily cheap as well.

Then of course if you are just looking to have a fun portable MF camera... check out the old folders.

As for meters... look into Gossen Luna Pros... going for $50 now a days. The old cadmium cell meters are just about all on their last legs, expensive to repair if you can get it done and not as accurate as the newer more advanced meters. A good meter is worth it's weight in gold. Don't skimp here.

^^what they say!^^

The Yashicas are about the best buys in TLRs. The Yashica-Mats are the
later models. Some of these have meters. Earlier models are OK too but
may not have as wide a range of shutter speeds as the "Mats."

If you buy on eBay, I suggest buying from a seller who knows cameras
(look at the other items they sell, etc.) and who has a good feedback
history (preferably 99% or better).

These are quite reliable cameras but the shutters can get sluggish
with age. Make sure the shutter really works at all speeds and that the
lens is clean and clear with no fungus. Also make sure the focusing
hood/screen area is in good shape and that the camera hasn't been
dropped (dented).

Don't just take "it's mint" as a description. Ask for the above details. And,
asking a seller who is clueless about cameras about these things is
pointless because they won't know. They think that if it clicks, it works. :confused:

The best lens to look for on a Yashica TLR is the Yashinon but the
less expensive Yashikor is no slouch and will also give good results.

Check eBay to see if Mark Hama, the most respected Yashica repairman, sells cameras. He used to, a while ago. He actually worked in Japan at the Yashica factory and is the most respected amongst his camera repairmen peers.

Another vote for Yashica Mats with the yashinon taking lens(sp?). But get the 124 and not the 124G.

Most people who start looking at them find that the 124G has gold contacts for the light meter but fail to realize that the 124 has a stronger wind Mechanism (otherwise they are practically the same camera). (I have one of each and the 124 is a better camera) The meter is OK but not as good as a "good" hand held one so why bother?

124s are also about 1/2 the price of the Gs too.

Have fun!!

Most reactions

Back