To shoot in B&W or Convert??

rh8881

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know this is a noobie question. I am very new to DSLR Photography. I love B&W photography, is it better to shoot in B&W or convert in photoshop??

Thanks for putting up with the noobie question.

RH.

Convert in photoshop! sometimes images look better in colour, othertimes in BW. I also find that the BW straight out of the camera are just gross tonally.

Convert in photoshop! sometimes images look better in colour, othertimes in BW. I also find that the BW straight out of the camera are just gross tonally.

When digital, always convert. You have much better control of the final image, and you can adjust each color individually, simulating various color filter effects.

I agree with 'peanuts'. Sometimes you'll get a picture in b&w and wish you had the color version. That being said, I have shot in just b&w on really overcast days and they've come out better than color photos I've taken. I guess it really depends on how you feel on a certain day!

Show some skill! Shoot in B&W, then convert to Technicolor like The Wizard of Oz :p

I agree with you here. But letme ask you something. What 'kind' of photos look better in colour? The certain colours that are there that compliment each other. Or something else in your opinion?

Thanks guys! I thought I should shoot in color and then convert!!

RH

I agree with you here. But letme ask you something. What 'kind' of photos look better in colour? The certain colours that are there that compliment each other. Or something else in your opinion?

Generally speaking images that are very colorful to begin with but lack tonal variation-- they just come out muddy in black and white.

well i know if i shoot in Raw with my 40D and shoot in black and white i can just change it back to colour on my laptop after

If you're going to actually, properly convert an image, then convert it in photoshop.

But if you're just gonna hit "Image Adjustments ---> Desaturate" then I say just set it in camera.

If you're going to actually, properly convert an image, then convert it in photoshop.

But if you're just gonna hit "Image Adjustments ---> Desaturate" then I say just set it in camera.

What would the other method be and why is it better than the "Desaturate" function in PS?

There are tons mjefferies, literally I am thinking over 100 different variations. I use the lab BW conversion, lots of people use gradient map and channel mixer. The list goes on and on :)

Most reactions

Back