What's new

Today's Travels Around the Province of Alicante

Ricardodaforce

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Nov 29, 2010
Messages
468
Reaction score
43
Location
Alicante
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Last edited:
#2 and #5 are my favorites.
The sun is well placed in both
 
I like #4, the bull looks very imposing with the sun shining behind it
 
Richard,

You astonish me with your quality of images; these are simply outstanding :thumbsup:
 
First and last are my favourites; particularly number 5. I like the composition on it; the cacti in the foreground are a little distracting but nothing compared to the blown out sky on the right. Is this just from post or the sun sitting right in behind?
 
First and last are my favourites; particularly number 5. I like the composition on it; the cacti in the foreground are a little distracting but nothing compared to the blown out sky on the right. Is this just from post or the sun sitting right in behind?

The sun is right there I'm afraid. I am very new to this photography thing but am enjoying it immensely. One of the things I have discovered recently is something called a graduated neutral density filter, and from what I can understand, it would have helped me hugely with that image. I need to start saving!
 
One of the things I have discovered recently is something called a graduated neutral density filter, and from what I can understand, it would have helped me hugely with that image. I need to start saving!

An ND Grad will be difficult to use when the horizon is not flat because you don't want to cover any part of the mountains with the graduation in the filter. It will show up as a dark area in the landscape. You could try exposing for the sky and exposing for the land (bracket) and then blend them with photoshop or create an HDR.
 
One of the things I have discovered recently is something called a graduated neutral density filter, and from what I can understand, it would have helped me hugely with that image. I need to start saving!

An ND Grad will be difficult to use when the horizon is not flat because you don't want to cover any part of the mountains with the graduation in the filter. It will show up as a dark area in the landscape. You could try exposing for the sky and exposing for the land (bracket) and then blend them with photoshop or create an HDR.


Ah of course! When I say I know nothing, I mean I know nothing. I guess I have just made myself look very silly eh! If I took 2 exposures, one for the sky, one for the land, could they be blended in photoshop elements?
 
Ah of course! When I say I know nothing, I mean I know nothing. I guess I have just made myself look very silly eh! If I took 2 exposures, one for the sky, one for the land, could they be blended in photoshop elements?

No, not silly at all. I don't use elements, but as long as you can layer and mask out the right area to combine the best of both images, you should be good. The trick is getting good at masking so that no transition is visible between the two exposures.
 
Ah of course! When I say I know nothing, I mean I know nothing. I guess I have just made myself look very silly eh! If I took 2 exposures, one for the sky, one for the land, could they be blended in photoshop elements?

No, not silly at all. I don't use elements, but as long as you can layer and mask out the right area to combine the best of both images, you should be good. The trick is getting good at masking so that no transition is visible between the two exposures.

Thank you. And I assume they'd have to be tripod shots so the framing was identical?
 
Last edited:
For the first one a soft GND would probably be ok; just have to make some adjustments in PS afterwards to tweak its effect, but as mentioned far too hard with the second. Shooting at a different time of day could solve that problem for you with that shot though.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom