Took a camera on a test run, got a consistent light streak. Light seals? help?

tricityterror

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took this older Minolta camera out, Kodak c41 b/w and got this light leak steak on more than a few frames. Do you think it's bad light seals, or bad handling by Walgreens/me? Bought the film less than 6 months ago. It's a shame because I was really digging the camera and ready to put a 35mm lens on it.

Set:
http://tricityterror.blogspot.com/2013/05/minolta-slr-kodak-c41-bw-400.html

individual picture for quick reference: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-OcUGw604KaY/UaGShmdFzgI/AAAAAAAAB3w/v42WfS-ZaYM/s1600/15000008.jpg

Thanks in advance!

It does look like alight leak, altho' it's hard to know whether it's you or them. When its in the chemicals, its usually "liquid-looking" of "fluid-like". This doesn't appear that way so it has to be light...

I would guess its them if the camera appears to be in perfect shape...

Lenny

Load another roll and then put opaque tape all around the film door edges. Then shoot the roll. If no streaks then it's the light seals. Nearly all Japanese cameras from the 60s-80s need the seals replaced or will very soon. It's not hard to do.

Load another roll and then put opaque tape all around the film door edges. Then shoot the roll. If no streaks then it's the light seals. Nearly all Japanese cameras from the 60s-80s need the seals replaced or will very soon. It's not hard to do.

Great idea on using tape.
Looks like seals to me. I know Walgreens does shoddy work but that light streak looks the same in each shot. At work we send a lot of older film cameras to the repair shop for new seals.

Maybe I can't see it well from the pictures, but it appears not every frame has this problem. Take a good look at the bottom seal close to right corner of the frame, there is your slow leak. Follow Compur advice, present camera to the full sun all around, some frames keep not advanced for few minutes then quickly advance 3-4 frames.
Seals will be no problem as soon as this website
camera light seal kits
comes back online.
But there are others:
lightseals
Maybe that will help.

Foggy mist type blemishes are always light. Check your seals.

Looks like it could be the shutter, put the camera somewhere warm for a while to warm up the lubricant and just keep firing the shutter at different speeds and it may free up

When you open the back of the camera does it look like the foam is deteriorating around the inside if the door? I noticed too it's not apparent in every shot, maybe the leak is small and/or varies depending on how light is hitting the camera.

You can use gaffer's tape too, they make it now in a 4 pack of smaller rolls in different colors; I'd probably use black to make it more light tight.

If you need to replace the foam and want to do-it-yourself, according to my camera repair books by Tomosy (now out of print) you can use the velvet from along the inside edge of empty film cartridges (I've gotten film labs to save some for me). I forget offhand what adhesive is recommended.

When I had a mirror bumper that needed to be replaced in an old camera the long time owner of our local camera shop suggested trying black self-adhesive velcro, the side that's the softer fabric, and cut it to fit - I used that and it worked, but might be best tried in an old camera that's one you'd want to experiment on.

Reasonably certain it's a bum seal at the door hinge--the most common cause of this type of leak. It's also very easy to fix with some thin adhesive-backed craft store black sheet foam. Don't bother with the seals along the length of the door.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back