Torajan funeral ceremony: gruesome and barbaric water buffalo sacrifice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to go vegetarian until I witnessed the brutal and barbaric slaughter of thousands of innocent vegetables at our local market. They way they were so callously ripped from their home and dismembered made me so distraught I had to run to the nearest steakhouse and order some prime rib.
Actually, a long time ago I read in some class I was taking, that a veggie reacts at a cellular level when it is ripped or cut and that many think it is similar to a scream.

But I applaud Philmar for protecting those that do not wish to view blood and gore of any type.

The harsh reality is that to get a patty you have to kill, butcher and grind up the flesh of an animal. Personally I think every meat eater should kill and butcher at least one animal. Sparing people this imagery does nothing but coddle those who wish to bury their heads in the sand.
Oh please ... you actually think that there are people walking around this planet with internet access that haven't seen gore and blood, that don't know the animal protein on their plates requires death and slaughter? You actually think that Philmar should have titled his post differently just to shock and un-coddle those that eat meat/fish into becoming vegans? Oh please ... who has their head in the sand now ... or are you just one of those internet argumentative types that it isn't about right, wrong or varying degrees of right/wrong ... but rather it is all about winning?

But I applaud Philmar for protecting those that do not wish to view blood and gore of any type.

The harsh reality is that to get a patty you have to kill, butcher and grind up the flesh of an animal. Personally I think every meat eater should kill and butcher at least one animal. Sparing people this imagery does nothing but coddle those who wish to bury their heads in the sand.

That's pretty u realistic though.
Do you tell vegetarians they should have to farm their own Vegetables before they can get them from the store?
Should everyone have to rebuild an engine before being allowed the convenience of driving a car?
Wet print before being allowed to use a digital camera? I mean..talk about barbaric man....chemicals...to make a picture....ugh.

Yes, yes and yes.
Okay ... I have to agree with you there ... lol

Oh please ... you actually think that there are people walking around this planet with internet access that haven't seen gore and blood, that don't know the animal protein on their plates requires death and slaughter? You actually think that Philmar should have titled his post differently just to shock and un-coddle those that eat meat/fish into becoming vegans? Oh please ... who has their head in the sand now ... or are you just one of those internet argumentative types that it isn't about right, wrong or varying degrees of right/wrong ... but rather it is all about winning?

Nope, no winning needed. Plus I am insulted.

Yes, there are people who want everything sanitized and as least offensive as possible. I don't think the OP should have tricked people but I think the trigger words "horrific and barbaric" set some preconceived notions as to how to feel. I am sure none of the folks at the ceremony thought it was barbaric or horrific.

That's pretty u realistic though.
Do you tell vegetarians they should have to farm their own Vegetables before they can get them from the store?
Should everyone have to rebuild an engine before being allowed the convenience of driving a car?
Wet print before being allowed to use a digital camera? I mean..talk about barbaric man....chemicals...to make a picture....ugh.
Many five star chefs do state that they would like to see all successful chefs participate in the kill at least once. They claim the chefs that have participated in the kill treat the butchered meat with much more respect and waste much less than those that haven't participated. I think that maybe just Tv BS ... but there is much truth to this thinking.

Last edited:

Nope, no winning needed. Plus I am insulted.

Yes, there are people who want everything sanitized and as least offensive as possible. I don't think the OP should have tricked people but I think the trigger words "horrific and barbaric" set some preconceived notions as to how to feel. I am sure none of the folks at the ceremony thought it was barbaric or horrific.

"Yes, there are people who want everything sanitized and as least offensive as possible."
Is there anything wrong with that? (As long as it isn't "insulated" and they refuse to recognize that animal protein come from dead animals.) Most of us have the potential to hunt/fish for our own animal protein. I would rather pay extra to have professionals kill my animal protein for me. I don't think I have my head in the sand for making that choice. I have personally seen every stage of the beef food chain from calving to feeding to selling to slaughter to butchering, it is my choice to pay others ... professionals ... for my animal protein.

"I am sure none of the folks at the ceremony thought it was barbaric or horrific."
Aaaahhhh ... so you are defending them, the Torajan??? Okay ... so you are giving voice to those that cannot speak, wow and good for you ... I applaud you for that, (seriously ... not that my applause means anything).

So next time, and in all seriousness, we should be more sensitive and use the words "Many of us may find these images to be ...". Thank you ... and yes, we need to observe a greater universe. I misread you and your statements and apologise for my insulting remark. Unfortunately, it took a few posts for clarity.

"I am sure none of the folks at the ceremony thought it was barbaric or horrific."
Aaaahhhh ... so you are defending them, the Torajan??? Okay ... so you are giving voice to those that cannot speak, wow and good for you ... I applaud you for that, (seriously ... not that my applause means anything).

That was the thrust of my comments from the get go. Barbaric to one culture may be normal to others. Some of the crap Americans do is seen by outsiders is considered borderline insane. Fake tits, fast food, rampant consumerism etc... are all very inherent to our culture but for most of the world very strange and unique.

Actually, a long time ago I read in some class I was taking, that a veggie reacts at a cellular level when it is ripped or cut and that many think it is similar to a scream.
Oh good lord....... you had to go there, didn't you?! That's exactly what I hear the tree-huggers saying as they're clutching their crying trees! You're making this tree cry!! You're hurting its feelings!! Back in the day.......... these types were culled pretty quickly. Just sayin'.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk Pro

The cultural insensitivity here is far worse, and far more offensive than the images.

Most of you should know better, and frankly I am appalled.

This comment will likely get deleted. But I just cannot stand for this kind of behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back