Torn between the canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM prime and the canon EF 100-400 IS USM

dxb photo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys,

I'm currently looking into buying a telephoto (mainly for sports, some wildlife and general photography) and have narrowed it down to these two lenses. I will mostly be shooting outdoors in excellent light (living in Dubai) or under professional flood lighting. I honestly don't have a clue which one would be the best for me, so please tell me which one and why.

Cheers
Jordan

I personally am going to get the 300f4 over the 100-400 due to the fact that the 300 is sharper and a little faster. But many who have th 100-400 love it. Maybe you should rent both first? If it is available over there.

Hey guys,

I'm currently looking into buying a telephoto (mainly for sports, some wildlife and general photography) and have narrowed it down to these two lenses. I will mostly be shooting outdoors in excellent light (living in Dubai) or under professional flood lighting. I honestly don't have a clue which one would be the best for me, so please tell me which one and why.

Cheers
Jordan

It's rather difficult for us to decide this for you.

This isn't really all that tough. It comes down to what you need most. Convenience of the zoom range of the 100 - 400 or the outstanding image quality of the 300mm. If you want zoom go for the 100-400. If you want IQ the 300 is superior to the 100-400.

This isn't really all that tough. It comes down to what you need most. Convenience of the zoom range of the 100 - 400 or the outstanding image quality of the 300mm. If you want zoom go for the 100-400. If you want IQ the 300 is superior to the 100-400.

Easy decision... definitely! Prime or Zoom.

It all depends ...

I use a Sigma 100-300mm f/4 and have recently acquired the Canon 400mm f/5.6 ...

The Canon is, by far, the better wildlife lens. The other lens is more versitile. You might consider renting or borrowing a prime and the zoom to see which fits your style better.

It all depends ...

I use a Sigma 100-300mm f/4 and have recently acquired the Canon 400mm f/5.6 ...

The Canon is, by far, the better wildlife lens. The other lens is more versitile. You might consider renting or borrowing a prime and the zoom to see which fits your style better.

Hey man thanks for the input, sadly I can't rent out here, can't borrow either due to the poor amount of photographers that own quality equipment. However I have tried them both in the shop and they both seem to be excellent lenses. Like mentioned before It will be mostly for sports and general photography :).

got to be the 300 the 100-400 sucks for sport focus is to slow and the push pull zoom is awful, I used to have the non IS 300F4 super sharp but swapped for the F2.8

got to be the 300 the 100-400 sucks for sport focus is to slow and the push pull zoom is awful, I used to have the non IS 300F4 super sharp but swapped for the F2.8

Cheers for the input, that is what I wanted to hear :).

After researching for over a week I think I'm going to go with the 300 prime due to image quality and focus speed.

Cheers for the help.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back