Tourist Traps

Ysarex

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've always wanted to do a coffee table book of American Tourist Traps. Kinda of a kitsch on the road with Charles Kuralt. Maybe when I'm fully retired. So for Spring Break I stopped by Hannibal MO -- boyhood home of Mark Twain and tourist trap extraordinary. They even have the very fence that Tom Sawyer conned his friends into white washing. And there's a bucket on the sidewalk with brushes so Mom and Dad can get snaps of the kids painting the fence!

tourist_trap.jpg

So let's see your regional tourist trap.

Joe

My region is the central Mississippi valley. In addition to Hannibal I've also got super heroes! Just down the river is Metropolis Ill.

super_santa.jpg

And my very best favorite, Chester Ill -- the home of Popeye!

popeye.jpg

Joe

Hey! I recognize those people!

Oh and lets not forget the World's Largest Tree Crusher ... actually the world's second largest ... they got the bigger one stuck in a valley that was to be flooded after the construction of the WAC Bennett dam, and it is now underwater in British Columbia's largest lake.

REALLY OLD pic!

12-the world's largest tree crusher [Mackenzie].jpg

Last edited:
Oregon's single most popular tourist attraction is Multnomah Falls, located east of Portland just seconds off of Interstate 84, in the Columbia Gorge National Scenic Area. On good weather days, there can be 50 people waiting to have their photos snapped by the wrought iron fence, right in front of the best view of the falls.
155745039.5Y6lepje.2014_0518G__PRINT.jpg

This, "Will you please snap a picture of us?" dance goes on allllll day long, every day.

155745046.oemCq1Kl.2014_0518G__PRINT.jpg
On this rainy, foggy day, the crowds were pretty sparse this late in the afternoon, and a couple of hours before dark These two young women had traveled south and then east about 200 miles from the Seattle region to see the Gorge, and to stop at Multnomah Falls.

Oh and lets not forget the World's Largest Tree Crusher ... actually the world's second largest ... they got the bigger one stuck in a valley that was to be flooded after the construction of the WAC Bennett dam, and it is now underwater in British Columbia's largest lake.

REALLY OLD pic!

View attachment 98112

I love it! You Canadians have some great tourist traps. I adore the Sudbury nickel but I've never gotten a decent photo of it.

Joe

Most reactions

Back