TPF consumer reports

MLeeK said:
For portraits I LOVE my Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 lens. That fixed f/2.8 and sharp lens will give you so much more than using a consumer grade lens. I believe it's running $699, but I haven't looked in quite a while. It's a "macro" lens so the focus is a bit "slower" and for high speed sports it's not the greatest, however "slow" is also relative... I have shot sports with it and done so successfully. The ability to shoot at f/2.8 is great and the ability to zoom and not have the aperture change on you is divine. AF001N700 Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 DI LD (IF) Macro, Fast AF Telephoto Zoom Lens for Nikon AF Mount - USA Warranty

Erica - I don't believe that tamron will autofocus on your camera either. Not 100% positive. Manual focus isn't that bad but if you are/were having a difficult time focusing they might not be the best for you or for kids.

Ahhhh! Megan's right. I forget that Nikon makes those pesky non AF bodies. Sigma has a version out that is auto focus... if you can find it at a decent price. They have two versions of this lens. The 70-200 f/2.8 EX DG APO Macro HSM II is the cheaper version. It's not OS (same as VR in Nikon) and it's a superb lens. However, that pesky AF motor will cost you another $100 in this case. Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 II EX DG APO Macro HSM AF Lens 579-306 B&H

The OS version will run $1399. Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM for Nikon 589306 B&H Photo NICE to have if you are shooting sports and things that NEED the OS, but not NECESSARY. There was good photography LONG before there was OS/VR/VC/IS[h=1][/h]

I would work on understanding the focusing and dof of your 50mm first, once your get crisp shots coming from that then spend more money.

I forget that Nikon makes those pesky non AF bodies.
You mean the few entry-level Nikon's bulit like all Canon bodies (since 1987) are built?
It really doesn't matter whether Canon puts the motor in the lens or the body. There's no conflict with Canon lenses and certain bodies. I don't have to pay attention with Canon!

MLeeK said:
It really doesn't matter whether Canon puts the motor in the lens or the body. There's no conflict with Canon lenses and certain bodies. I don't have to pay attention with Canon!

I wish Nikon was like that! To be honest I bought my camera on impulse and now regret it. I wish I had done more research on the different models. I probably would've stuck with Nikon but I would've gone with the d7000 just because it can take lenses that don't have the motor built in! It drives me nuts - I'll find a lens I really like and then realize it won't autofocus. I do like manual focus now but I prefer the option of both!

I love my 85 1.8D. It's a third of the price of the G lens and produces nice and sharp images. I was told once in my beginnings to invest in lenses. Everything I bought, I bought knowing I would be going full frame. I'll pass that on to you. I know manual focusing may be a beyotch but above all, save the heartache of wasted money and whatever you buy, buy with the intent of using it for years to come.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back