Traveling Vietnam Wall

shefjr

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This past weekend my town hosted one of the Traveling Vietnam Walls (80% reproduction). I tried to take photos that told some sort of story or at least had something that I enjoyed. Overall, I only really like the last photo. I had the chance to take other much more emotional photos but, I didn't because I didn't want to further hurt the Vets who were there. Many men were hugging while crying but, I couldn't bring myself to take a photo of that. I wanted to for a dramatic story but, I also wanted to be respectful (any thoughts or advice on this topic would be helpful).

1. Overall view of the wall.

The-wall by Shefjr, on Flickr

2. Center of the wall. I never realized how long the war was or how many men died. Really touching and sad. I had to ask myself what it accomplished.

Center-of-the-wall by Shefjr, on Flickr

3. These two women were sitting together and appeared to be supporting each other.

Supporting-each-other by Shefjr, on Flickr

4. This man was praying for someone who had died in Vietnam. (my interpretation of what I saw)

Praying-for-fallen by Shefjr, on Flickr

5. This man came along with his walking cane and used a piece of paper and pencil to copy a name on the wall. Although others may not be touched by this view, I was touched seeing this from a live perspective. I just didn't want to be disrespectful by getting a angle where he would know I was there shooting him.

Gentleman-etching-a-name by Shefjr, on Flickr

6. These two men stayed at the wall for the whole day (9am-9pm) for the two days that I was there. They did have some fellowship with each other and some men who walked up and spoke with them.

Brothers-honoring-brothers by Shefjr, on Flickr

7. I enjoy this photo the best. A Vet left his motorcycle (which was painted up similar to his helmet) there all weekend for viewers of the wall to see how he paid homage to his fallen brothers.

A-tribute-to-brothers-fallen by Shefjr, on Flickr

Not to get political but, we Americans are blessed with brave women and men who are willing to give so that we can enjoy liberties that not everyone can.
My goal was to give you (the viewer) a story/ clear image of what I saw. I don't feel I did that. However, I hope with my text I gave it a little context for you to work with and imagine/ draw your own conclusion.

In addition, any C&C is welcome. Specifically tips on how to photograph such an emotional situation and or any other thing that you may see that I could have done better.
Thank you.
GOD BLESS OUR SOLDIERS (for all countries)

I think you did very well. Especially in not getting in the way of the people there. There are many who would happily poke a camera in a weeping face simply to get "The Photograph". I'm glad to know there are some who do not. You may have sacrificed some of the story that your photographs tell but that is minor to what many of them sacrificed. Especially every name on that wall.

Scraig, thanks for your input. To be honest I did make one attempt to photograph two older men who were embracing and crying. It was a touching moment that I missed by seconds. I didn't feel right about taking photos like that after my one failed attempt so I didn't try again.

Trever1t,
That photo is the only one that I took where I didn't have to crop the image at all. I do like this one because for me I imagine the empty bench would be where their spouses would be. I guess that's a little dark. :/

This is my botched attempt at photographing an emotional moment between two vets. If only I had been a moment sooner.
I noticed them as I was walking by and when I got about five feet away I tried to quickly turn and snap the shot. I didn't try this again as to me it felt wrong and disrespectful.

Sorrow by Shefjr, on Flickr

Most reactions

Back