tray developing 4x5 negatives.

Grandpa Ron

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Decades ago I played with 35 and 127 b&w film. Most of the gear is long gone. However I still have the trays the photo paper was developed in.

Recently I resurrected an old 4x5 view camera. I have the camera, the lens and four film holders. Next I plan to buy some 4x5 film to see how light tight the system is, with my changing bag I can run a few film sheets through each I film holder. But how do I develop the film?

I would like to know how well the camera works before I spend money on daylight developing tanks etc. If I recall correctly, large format film could be developed in trays with gentle agitation. I could commandeer the bathroom long enough to try that.

I am betting that if anyone knows how to do it, it will be the folks on this forum.

It's fiddly, and with all film development requires consistency in process, And you're going to be spending money anyway on film, chemicals, all the stuff you don't have but suddenly discover you need...

Something to wash the negs in.

An audible timer to use when the lights are out.

Two things a daylight tank dispenses with. I just use a Mod54, it's simple if you're careful, you can use it to wash the negs and you can load it in the light tight bag so no need for the tape and thick PVC round the door and window.

With the bellows it's simple to do a preliminary check by removing the glass and extending then using your focussing cloth to do a visual, you should see any main holes quite easily. Dark slides can be checked visually for damage.

A few sheets through each dark slide is near a box of film which equates to half the cost of the tank. One will check the camera unless you make a mistake in handling the film in the camera or in the bathroom...

Yes, you can develop sheet film in trays ... though you might scratch them, as this would be the first time doing it.
I have never done it ... I had access to dip tanks.

Tray Processing

Yep. Simple tray development is good 'nuff for testing for light leaks in the camera & film holders. You'll just be doing everything in total darkness so you'll need to be very familiar where everything is once the lights are turned off.

Or, you could try paper negatives. Everything can be done in safelight. A red party lightbulb in a clamp light bounced off the ceiling will work for brief periods (3-5) minutes w/ no fogging. The paper will have to be trimmed to fit in the holders (use a sheet of film as a guide) but its fun and cheap. Dektol, water stop and fix and wash. Likely less than $30 and you've got dektol and fix for a month or so. The paper is not red sensitive so it records different than pan film but is still continuous tone. I rate the paper at iso 2 so, yeah it's slow but 25 cents an exposure. I use ilford multigrade rc glossy because I have some but I'm guessing most any paper (rc, because it lays flat in the holder) would work. You can place a multigrade filter (00-0-1) in front of the lens during exposure to control contrast. If you try it, have fun. Good luck regardless.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back