Tripod Advice

mikeschmeee

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

I'd like to start off by saying, I know there is a "Tripod Recommendations" thread just below this one but I didn't want to do this so called "thread jacking" so I decided to make my own. If this is not acceptable please let me know and perhaps merge these posts? Please and thank you

Now...

I just sold my very first photo! yay! I never expected this to happen and I usually save every penny I get but this inspired me to reinvest back into my photography. So I have some coin to spend.
I'm not quite sure what to get but there are a few items I've been looking at for a long time. One of which is a new tripod but I don't know which one to get. All I know is I'd like a lightweight but very sturdy tripod, if this is possible. I'd also like it to be near my eye level with just the three legs extended. I'm about 6 feet tall. I'd like to get it as cheap as possible but let's keep it under $300 USD.

The main reason I need a light but very sturdy tripod is for wildlife photos. I have an old Manfrotto tripod that a co-worker gave me but I was unaware that it was missing one handle from the 141. And recently one of the legs just fell right off while resting it against my shoulder when I was on my nature walk at a bird sanctuary.

B&H photo has a black Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod with 904RC2 head for $260.. is that any good?
I've looked at a few at a camera store but there are so many and I have no clue which one is better then the other. Non of them had price tags which was strange as well. Maybe I just couldn't see them.
It's all pretty much common sense as I know there are a few carbon fibre tripods and I can just look at the company website for specs on height and such. I'd just like to know what other photographers are using. I really don't know much as I'm still learning so I'd like some recommendations if possible?

Thanks in advance!
Cheers
Mike
:thumbup:

Last edited:
at 6' myself the 055XPROB and 498RC2 ballhead put my camera right at eye level with column down. Good sturdy tripod, not too heavy.

Hello,
All I know is I'd like a lightweight but very sturdy tripod, if this is possible. I'd also like it to be near my eye level with just the three legs extended. I'm about 6 feet tall. I'd like to get it as cheap as possible but let's keep it under $300 USD.
Thanks in advance!
Cheers
Mike
:thumbup:

When talking about tripods, cheap and sturdy are usually not in the same sentence. Is the tripods you looked at be good for you? There is really no way to tell especially when talking about shooting wildlife. We don't know your gear so we can't give you a definitive answer. What I can tell you is this.

You want a tripod that will support at least 2X the weight of your heaviest gear combination. 3X would be better. This is where the sturdy, and vibration control come in. Since we don't know what that gear is, it is almost impossible to tell you what would work.

You want a head that will support 2X the weight of your heaviest gear, 3X again would be better. The head often is the weakest link in many peoples choices.

You want a tripod that meets you height requirements with out extending the center column. When you raise the center column on most field tripods you will loose stability. A good studio tripod with a properly made gear column will not have this problem. But they are heavy and not made to tote around.

You want the legs to be made of the best material you can afford and keep the weight in the range you want. This will be a compromise. I use a carbon fiber tripod for shooting wildlife. I need a lot of support since I am shooting large glass.

My first choice would be a good hardwood tripod. Carbon fiber and boron fiber do not dampen vibration as well as a good hard wood tripod. Problem is a good hardwood tripod weighs 4X or more what the carbon fiber pod does. I got to carry it. I choose carbon fiber. :D Aluminium can be a good choice to keep cost down if you don't mind the weight.

For most people a 3 section leg would be better than a 4 section for stability. Me, I chose a 4 section leg because when I am shooting wildlife I am down close to the ground and do not extend any of the leg sections. I am 6'3" tall and when fully extended the head of the tripod is at 6'5" with out a camera on it. Useful when I am using it with smaller lighter glass for other purposes.

Gitzo, Giottos, Manfrotto, Feisol, Benro, & Induro, to name a few, all make good products. Feisol seems to have garnered a good following for wildlife shooters on a budget. The make Gitzo carbon fiber knockoffs that get good praise at a savings over the Gitzo models.

One last thing. We all want to save money, however this is a good read for anyone buying a tripod. Tripods and Ball Heads by Thom Hogan A little more now can save a bunch later on. Good luck.

^
Wow! Thanks for the info! Currently I shoot with a Nikon D90 with battery grip + Nikkor 300mm AF-S f4. Working towards a Nikkor 400mm f2.8 or 500mm f4 so I'd rather dish out more money now then having to do it again later on.
Thanks for the link, its great!

Check Vanguard. They make a mighty fine tripod and head. I recently got a tripod and head combo for $200. The head is a SBH 100 ball. The tripod the 263AT. Very flexible and allows shootings in any conceivable position. Vanguard is made in the States but I bought mine in Toronto from Adens Camera.

If you're going for those kind of pro heavy lens setups I'd say go straight for a top of the line Gitzo tripod. They are pretty much the market leaders in tripods (for stills) and whilst it might cost you a lot now its far better than having to cost you further down the road.

The only word of warning I'll give is that I think tripods are a little like camera bags in that chances are as you adapt; learn and evolve your shooting and setup you'll end up collecting different tripods as your conditions and finances change. So that in the end there isn't such a thing as "the perfect" tripod just a series of ones that are ideal in given situations.

Check Vanguard. They make a mighty fine tripod and head. I recently got a tripod and head combo for $200. The head is a SBH 100 ball. The tripod the 263AT. Very flexible and allows shootings in any conceivable position. Vanguard is made in the States but I bought mine in Toronto from Adens Camera.

That Vanguard 263AT is tempting me. Nice gear.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back