Tripod Question .

If your going to get a tripod save up and get a good one. That one looks like a cheep cease of plastic that will soon break and not really hold a camera steady much.

As for if you need a tripod or not depends on what your going to be shooting, and that you didn't say.

Portraits, and self use.

Most dont use tripods for portraits. As for "self use" that doesn't rally describe anything specific so unless you explain what you mean by "self use" nobody will know.

Well self use as in just hobby taking pictures of things that catch my eyes.

hmm that didnt help either D:

hows i like to take light pictures , self portraits, landscape i like low light a lot .

just i like to try a little of everthing .

Last edited:
After you buy that tripod I really need to talk to you about this piece of property I have for sale in central Florida. It was previously owned by a Nigerian prince who has to let it go for a fire-sale price because the Russian mafia have kidnapped his mother and are holding her hostage against his gambling debts. As soon as you pay for that tripod wire me $10,000.00 to this secure bank account in Aruba and you won't be sorry. You and me, we're going to be millionaires!

Weigh your camera. Multiply by 7. That's the bare, extreme minimum weight you should consider if you're trying to get away with a lightweight tripod that probably won't be able to hold your camera adequately still given that it has a reflex mirror. Personally, I'd add a few more pounds.

What should you look for? Rigidity and mass. Mass absorbs vibration and rigidity dampens vibration. More of both is better -- get more! The tripod you're looking at is worthless garbage as is everything that company sells. That tripod will actually cause you more harm than good. If you're on a budget look for one of these: Tripods - Photo | Manfrotto

Joe

Weigh your camera. Multiply by 7. That's the bare, extreme minimum weight you should consider

By your formula I either need a tripod and head that supports 21lbs since my camera weighs 3 lbs. Not sure I would trust that with my body and my 400 mm f2.8 since that is 15 lbs right there.

If I use your formula for my heaviest gear set up I would need a tripod and head that can support at least 105 lbs. Which one would you suggest to cover those needs?

I would suggest that that a better and more commonly used formula for figuring tripod needs would be one that would support a minimum of 2 times the weight of your heaviest gear combo either what you own now or anticipated in the future. Three times the weight would be better.

Good read for the OP. Tripods and Ball Heads by Thom Hogan

If you're going to use a tripod simply to hold the camera, that one will work fine.

If you're going to use a tripod to simply hold the camera still, that one ain't gonna cut it.

The first time you try to take a shot ¼-sec or longer, that will end up in the closet and you'll be wishing you saved your money for a real tripod. The link shows not a tripod... it shows good marketing.

But Guys, it comes with a shutter release cord!! I'd feel a little iffy on that one you listed OP. It may just work for your needs but I honestly seeing you upgrading very shortly of ownership. Then you'll end up with a new tripod and the possible wasted money on the old one. I like GryphonSlairs suggestion.

I have that cheap tripod you mentioned in the first post and its not all that bad. It hold the camera and wont fall over but it is not the best one out there. I use that tripod now just for my yongnuo flash.

Most reactions

Back