Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Nikon D5000
1/4000
ISO 250

Not sure the borders work here, with the various spaces between each one....and i dont like how the shoes and hands are so close to the edges, but after cropping and sizing and bordering many times i decided to go ahead and go with this one.

4449083664_0a1188d2d7_o.jpg

Last edited:
Picture really doesn't need to be framed like that...but I assume you meant Nikon D5000?

Chronological I see. :)

I think this one missed for me.... the lighting is very harsh and it looks a little too sharpened. I've been reading books about how to capture emotion and I'm afraid this one doesn't do it.... I think being able to see some facial expression here would go a long way. I also agree that the border isn't helping much, or at least how the shots are aligned inside it.

The fence in the background is not helping things either.

p!nK

framing is pretty bad imo, and the subject is rather boring

I'm sorry N_D, the framing on this is horrible. Technically this is a collage, rather than a triptych.

trip·tych
–noun
1. Fine Arts. a set of three panels or compartments side by side, bearing pictures, carvings, or the like.

That said, you have a great concept here. I think you aranged it the way you did, so that the girls direction of motion, and her arms as leading lines, lead you to the next image, and that the angle of her legs lead you to the next image. This is also the chronolagical order of the cartwheel. Cartwheel and compostion moving in a clockwise fashion. You also chose to line up the yellow line in the background, disregarding image placement. Did I guess right? When I first viewed it, I went top image, bottom left then bottom right, and I went back through and noticed the images weren't chronoligical. This made me look close to try to figure out what you were going for.

There is a lot you could do with this, carefully playing with the yellow line, either maintaining it across all three images, or changing your shooting angle to put it in different places within the image breaking up that strong horizontal line.

Remember to pay attention to your backgrounds. While I think you could work that line, I mostly find it distracting.

They were actually suppose to be in order..I goofed and didnt even catch it!!!!
I tried another one (below)
But i accidently got took a shot from a different series and put it in there. You can tell by the shirt not being down in the middle one..I had about 25 images open at the same time...(note to self to be more organized)
Also, in this one...i dont like that i missed the line up of the fence on the last one....
4448184283_dc1f1efa0d_o.jpg

I had a really rough week...The shot was what i had planned from the begining, but i was rushed to get a bunch of shots and get home to put them together. I have some shots where you can see her face, but her face turned out dark and shadowed. I should have stood on the other side i think. I was going for something different with the borders in the first one hoping it wouldnt be too boring..but i agree..its not working.

I like that MUCH better. :)

What was the rush, you had till Monday.

Heh, the shirt. The fence line was close enough that I didn't notice it, but yeah.

My mom has been in the hospital since Wednesday due to a heart attack, and she is being sent to another hospital in the morning to have another stint put in so i been with her most of the time and will be with her all day tomorrow. And when i wasnt with her, my sister was staying with her so i had three of my sisters kids..plus my three...
As i said..rough week....

Maybe i should start going with my first results...I seem to get better feedback with them!!! ;)

I appreciate your conviction to "class", but geez Misty, take care of your momma!
Sorry to hear, and I wish her a speedy recovery. Take all the time you need.

I like the B&W series much better. You might consider taking it a step further and giving them all a square crop. Not sure if it would work though - the middle one doesn't look like it has much room for cropping.

Just my idea... I think it would be cool, but it might not be possible.

I would try to make the top of the fence even in all of them though.

(OK, I see you already noticed the fence thing - I typed that before reading anything in the thread.)

Hope your mom gets better soon.

Thanks and no worries. Shes will be ok...just needs the stint and of course she doesnt want to be by herself so my sister and i take turns staying with her.

I do see a lot of room for improvement on the pics though..even with limited time to work on it..
I actually wish i would have took time to find a place without a fence. And stood on the other side or something. I initially wanted to get her standing up posed ready to do the cartwheel, then her in the middle of it, then her at the end standing back up...but couldnt get the shutter to fire enough times in a row. It would take about 4 or 5 real fast then stop and id have to let off and hit it again. :er: So i was catching it too soon or not soon enough....

I think what sticks out to me the most is that although you are telling a story, it seems to be out of order. My eyes naturally go from the top to the bottom left, to the bottom right. It seems like the actual order of the bottom two images is reversed.

The strong yellow line really pulls me away from your subject.

Edit: Just read other posts.. I like the B&W/Horizontal layout much better.

Had a thought while looking at it, you could merge the three photos together into one for an artsy look (side project, not really a triptych I think). Might look neat eh?

Last edited:
I hope your Mom gets better.

I like the last B&W version that you created. For me they flow is in order and shows you a sequence which we wanted to display. I wonder how will it look is you crop even more the shots. I know some of us will complain about how can you crop a leg of the subject etc, but from the 3 shots composition prospective it may look something different and perhaps good.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back