Trouble with Clouds

Augphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
35lgldw.jpg

I seem to have a lot of trouble with cloud pics.
Any ideas, anyone?

What's wrong with the photo?

If you are talking about the overexposer of the clouds, what I do is expose a shot for the brightest part of the cloud and and expose one for the ground (and usually one in the middle). I don't do this often because I can usually edit the ground enough to get it bright enough to see detail, but if I couldn't I would use photoshot to clone stamp the shot with the ground exposed correctly into the shot with the clouds exposed correctly. This is a nice shot by the way. I might have shot with one or two shutter speeds faster you should still be able to lighten up the ground enough to see it well.

If you are talking about the overexposer of the clouds, what I do is expose a shot for the brightest part of the cloud and and expose one for the ground (and usually one in the middle). I don't do this often because I can usually edit the ground enough to get it bright enough to see detail, but if I couldn't I would use photoshot to clone stamp the shot with the ground exposed correctly into the shot with the clouds exposed correctly. This is a nice shot by the way. I might have shot with one or two shutter speeds faster you should still be able to lighten up the ground enough to see it well.

So, you take three shots and combine them?

So, you take three shots and combine them?

Not usually... sometimes I do, but most of the time I just bump up the levels in the ground. In this shot I believe I would have taken just one picture and bump up the levels because the ground is rather light, but like in this picture:
474243088_dad3dfc77c_m.jpg

I probably SHOULD have taken one exposed for the ground.

By bumping up the exposure of the ground you'll induce a lot of noise from shadow areas. Best to merge a couple of images, one exposed for the ground and one for the sky.

Alternatively, if the sky is too bright, you can use a neutral density graduated (ND grad) filter to balance the exposures of the foreground and sky.

ND grad would be fist thing to do..... I don't have one so if needed that's why I take a couple of exposures. Grads for 77mm lenses are bloody expensive!

I don't currently own a ND grad filter but, am considering purchasing one. As far as adjusting levels - I am totally new at photo editing but, am anxious to learn.

Also, I love your cloud pic, BoblyBill. The lighting is awesome!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back