Trouble with Focus

thecameragirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi I new to the photo forum my name is Lizette. I've been doing video work and I mainly make short films and such. I recently entered the photography field with knowledge coming from film studies. I bought a Canon Rebel XT a few months ago and my pictures looked sharp and clear then. I am working with the kit lens and a sigma 70-300mm macro zoom lens. I still use both but now it seems like a lot of my photos are blurring. It looks like camera shake has something to do with this but if i'm in the sun I don't understand why this would be happening even on the basic focus and shoot mode. Can anyone suggest something to fix this? maybe another setting? I've tried setting the camera to One shot focus, and AI Focus (which I know doesn't allow me to use focus lock so I usually put the subjects head where the red AF point is, Is there a better way to focus?)
I love the camera, because when the pictures aren't blurred they look great (IMO)! You can check out my not blurry pics by going to my photo site: Click Here

Thanks for your help,
Lizette

Welcome Lizette! Would you mind posting or two of the blurry pictures with the camera data (shutter speed especially) as that might hint as to why the pictures are turning out blurry. Also, just check the front of your lenses to see if they have any fingerprints or smudges on it. :)

Here are a few of the blurry photos:
Photos
The three pictures at the end of this album with the girl in the red shirt are the examples of the blur.

The camera data is at the end of each photo.

This seems to happen every couple of photos.
The lens in clean, I clean is before every shoot.

Thanks!

1) 1/40th of a second handheld is too slow of a shutter speed to shoot at 133mm focal length.

2) 1/30th of a second handheld is too slow of a shutter speed to shoot at 168mm focal length.

Pretty much all of the shutter speeds are too slow for the focal length *handheld*. Rule of thumb... slowest shutter you can shoot is 1/(focal length). Of course, everyone is a little different depending on how steady your hands are.

Options:
*) open up the aperture (lower value) until you have a shutter setting of 1/(focal length) - results in shallower DOF
*) put on a tripod
*) add more light resulting in a faster shutter speed. - flash or strobes
*) push up the ISO. - can result in more grain/noise.

I just noticed flash was involved.... how are the batteries? perhaps your subjects are too far for your flash. Either way, your shutter speeds are too slow. Notice photo #1 on your site is sharp and was shot at a shutter speed of 1/800 of second.

Thanks! I still have more to learn about shutter speeds and focal length I guess! I am still getting used to the settings on the camera and all of the functions. Do you have any suggestions on how to get ready before a shoot *on location* to set up all the functions and settings as well as in studio. I am using built in flash right now for TFP work and I will be purchasing some new gear, flash included for shoots. What else, equipment wise, would you recommend for shooting on location?
Thanks for you help! I really appreciate it!
Lizette

Most reactions

New Topics

Back