Truss Bridge- B&W Pano-CC!

pthrift

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So this is my first shot out with Silver Efex, I've heard a lot about it and wanted to try it so I grabbed the 15 day trial and went to work on a set I shot earlier this afternoon. I'd love some feedback on both the image and the post--
Thanks

This is a former railroad bridge converted to pedestrian walkway to a walking trail along the Dan River in Danville Va

Nikon D7000
Sigma 150-500--150/F6.3
iso 500
1/320 sec exposure

Truss Bridge by patrick.thrift, on Flickr

My first thought is "where's the bridge?" It blends in to the background far too well..

Jake

I was worried about that, especially after I went B&W. this image is definitely on my to-do list for things to recapture in dead of winter without all the foliage distractions

I was worried about that, especially after I went B&W. this image is definitely on my to-do list for things to recapture in dead of winter without all the foliage distractions

Or in fall with color. And more intense lighting. It looks like this was on a cloudy/overcast day?

$Untitled_Panorama1.jpg

I also had to clone in a lot of the water on the bottom left of the image--bad job sweeping the pano-- and I was worried that would be much more obvious in color

Or in fall with color. And more intense lighting. It looks like this was on a cloudy/overcast day?

very. it's rained here for two straight days, and its still overcast out.

I agree that the bridge is swallowed up by the folliage, but I also think the viewer's angle to the bridge is either too small or too large. I.e. I.e. my preference would be for the photographer to have been either further to the left and the lens perpendicular to the span or much farther to the right and giving a view down the span. Just a matter of taste, and that's why they sell vanilla, chocolate and strawberry.

I agree that the bridge is swallowed up by the folliage, but I also think the viewer's angle to the bridge is either too small or too large. I.e. I.e. my preference would be for the photographer to have been either further to the left and the lens perpendicular to the span or much farther to the right and giving a view down the span. Just a matter of taste, and that's why they sell vanilla, chocolate and strawberry.

Perpendicular is not possible at this location--the next bridge over is the working train bridge.

Ive actually seen the views from the span of the bridge, its been done--a lot. I had in mind to get a new angle thats more unique, as I was way off the pathway down in the weeds (was trying to capture some good images of a heroin feeding this morning, but no such luck, he stayed behind some branches and limbs out of the cameras sight anywhere I moved)

regardless--thanks for the input

I like the bridge but the color shot shows it off better. B&W would need some work on the background to stop the bridge from blending into the foliage.

So apparently I got trigger happy playing in silver efex on a photo that stood better in color, or at least that's the general consensus?

ITs a cool photo but the black and white needs work... There is no true black and no true white. SO it's bland. With some more editing it could really pop. Since your profile says your photos are ok to edit I am going to try something to make it really stand out from the rest and see if you like it. Cheers!

$bridge.jpg
Hmm. Not the effect I was going for but I still feel it helped give it depth with the touch of color and high contrast...

You can also darken the rest of the woods to really bring it out.
(if you want me to take it down just let me know. )
Thats a pretty cool bridge too.

So apparently I got trigger happy playing in silver efex on a photo that stood better in color, or at least that's the general consensus?

That was what happened to me when I first downloaded silver efex. It's a powerful tool, but only necessary in moderation. To be honest, neither are perfect. Your light isn't epic, so your final image won't be epic. Shoot at the golden hour. Or get closer and shoot on a foggy day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was what happened to me when I first downloaded silver efex. It's a powerful tool, but only necessary in moderation. To be honest, neither are perfect. Your light isn't epic, so your final image won't be epic. Shoot at the golden hour. Or get closer and shoot on a foggy day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is true. Its like the first time with photoshop; or photomatix. Gotta put some total over processed crap out there to get it out of my system; then move on.

Most reactions

Back