Trying new trick, not for everyone

ga_shooter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was playing with long exposure in the rain with my daughter this afternoon. I will post more of the days shots later, but this one was big fun to play with. It is an extreme crop, so i think that is part of why its so grainy. Any ideas on how to do this more effectively is appreciated.

1374917026_151435ffb3.jpg

That is pretty cool.

One thing you may want to try...is panning with long exposures. It does take some practice and maybe some luck. But if it works, you can end up with the subject in sharp focus and a blurred background. Maybe try having your daughter ride a bike down a sidewalk and pan the camera as she goes by. Try to snap the photo as she is about level with you. Try different speeds and see what you get.

Possibly try a longer focal length, if you have one? I've found that it seems to emphasize motion when panning.

It's certainly an interesting image. I think it's giving me ideas.

Thanks for the advice. I was trying panning after reading Understanding Exposure, but in the rain i had to stay on the porch. I was having a hard time keeping up with the movement as well, figuring out how to watch them and press the shutter without losing them was tough.

Yeah, i suggest if you pan not to do an extremely long exposure unless you want a totally abstracted image... This is really cool though.

Plenty of sound advice on the technique itself, but I'd just like to mention the colour combination you've got there, I think it works really well. The strong contrast does a great job of lifting the subject away from the blurred background.

The best panning is when the subject is moving perpendicular to you ... in your shot she is running somewhat towards you. Panning is as much luck as it is technique.

134598462-M-1.jpg

I am quite fond of this image. Everything about it is neat. Looks like an artists rendering, or painting. Well done!

I agree. I like the look of motion and the contrasting colors. It looks alive and it is a bit surreal at the same time. Reminds of a Monet or something from What Dreams May Come.

Most reactions

Back