Turris Rubea

Jzero

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
ronunna.googlepages.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
est castrum Omym. quod nunc Turris rubea dicitur. et hoc quod. illa creta rubet. et quod illa via non tuta et multociens effunditur sanguinis humanus: hec ... <unquote>
J

IMG_1825-1.jpg

IMG_1828-1.jpg

IMG_1807-1.jpg

IMG_1833-1.jpg

IMG_1820-1.jpg

I couldn't resist inserting that bit of Latin text at the top of the page, it somehow seems fitting. This is what remains of the 'Red Tower' - AKA 'Turris Rubea', a Crusader Tower, or small castle presumably housing Crusader forces between AD 1099 and 1265, located in the Central Sharon Plain in Israel.

J

Cool ruins. I like the first shot the most.

Is that a fireplace at the bottom?

Looks cool!

I'm in my first semester of Latin, and while I don't know many of the words in your phrase, I could make out some of the tenses of some of the words, and it was FUN.

Looks cool!

I'm in my first semester of Latin, and while I don't know many of the words in your phrase, I could make out some of the tenses of some of the words, and it was FUN.

I don't know much Latin either (I did learn it at school about 40 years ago but I haven't had much opportunity to use it since...) but this particular text relates to the "Turris Rubea" - The Red Tower which presumably is about this location.

Oh, why has my daughter left for training camp in Turkey only yesterday!!!??? She does Latin and ought to be able to translate that bit for me!!! Alas! She is not here.

As to the photos, I think I like the first best, it offers most colours and most context. And then comes #3.

That is ONE interesting find! And it sits there, just like this, in the middle of fields?

Oh, why has my daughter left for training camp in Turkey only yesterday!!!??? She does Latin and ought to be able to translate that bit for me!!! Alas! She is not here.

As to the photos, I think I like the first best, it offers most colours and most context. And then comes #3.

That is ONE interesting find! And it sits there, just like this, in the middle of fields?

Hi LaFoto

I agree with you about the 1st picture, it is the best of the lot. And yes indeed, this archeological find just sits out there in the middle of nowhere, partly fenced and mostly neglected. I am discovering a lot of these sites all over the place (since I started to take a serious interest in photography), and to my amazement, no one is taking care of them. If they remain neglected as they are at the moment, they will ultimately be destroyed by either man or natural elements!! The amount of historical sites like this one that have been plundered for relics or destroyed over the years is alarming! I have applied to become a fellowship-member (whatever that is) of the 'Israel Antiquities Authorities' in my spare time and will offer to make photographic catelogs (on a voluntary basis) of historical locations so that there is at least some sort of follow-up as to their state and condition.

Here's a sample of a site that I came across today out in the middle of nowhere (I do actually go out and look for these things). It isn't very spectacular, I'll admit, but I am fairly sure that it has some degree of historical value.

small.jpg

J

Oh my-- don't let my brother see this. He's OBSESSIVE over Latin.
I really like the second shot. These are some interesting ruins. :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back