Ratman667

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.ratmansreptiles.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
DSC_3032edit1.jpg

Taken with a 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G lens on an overcast day. I adjusted the contrast and saturation slightly. A CPL filter was used as well.

DSC_0055-1.jpg

Taken at sunup with the above lens. Again the saturation and contrast were adjusted.

Please, I would like some unbiased opinions. Hold nothing back.

Hold nothing back.

I love when people say this. Since you did, here goes:
1) The contrast and saturation both were bumped a little high. Focus seems a tad off to me, which is probably due to the shallow depth of field in the photo.

2)Not much I can really say here. To start, its crooked. Generally, try to have the photo aligned with the horizon line. If not possible, at least with a vertical line in the photo like the wooden plank to the right. The green overcast kind of takes away from the sunrise effect for me as we all know the sky most likely wasnt pea green. The sun glare is a tad distracting as well.

As a general rule, try not to center your photos so much. It works with certain objects, but not with all. Be weary.

Okay, there it is. Sorry if I was a little harsh.. Welcome to the boards! Stick around. There are tons of great people around these parts who know alot about alot in the world of photography. You will learn all you need and could ever want around here. Keep shooting!

:hug::
Mark

^ Good advice.

Stay positive OP, keep trying to improve, welcome to the forums and have fun in a deeply rewarding hobby.

Not harsh at all. If I didn't want honest opinions, I would not have posted this.

Before I found this site, I thought all photos were supposed to be centered.

On the first one, I was zoomed out with the camera close to the subject. From what I have read, stand back, zoom in a little and crop if necessary. Sound about right?

Honestly, the first one I like. I use it as my desktop background.

The second one, I really wasn't happy with. I just couldn't figure out why. I think it was because I was trying to hard.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get the sunrise more "natural"?

While I prefer to use manual focus, I have been shooting with auto since I can't see through the view finder with my glasses on. I will be ordering a view finder magnifier from nikon soon though.

Keep the critique coming. Please be honest, I'm a big boy, I promise you I can take it.

Stay positive OP, keep trying to improve, welcome to the forums and have fun in a deeply rewarding hobby.

When you are doing something to have fun, is there anything but positive? The way I see it, If I like the photos I take, I have achieved my goal. The photos I take outside are for me, while a bunch of the ones I take of my reptiles, such as the ones in my welcome post are for my website.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back