What's new

UCLA at night

awesomeavi

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 20, 2007
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
This was UCLA this morning at 6am

1.
IMG_0240.jpg



2.
IMG_0271.jpg



3.
IMG_0289.jpg



4.

IMG_0303.jpg




and then this was another night:
5.
IMG_0101-1.jpg




comments?
 
I like #1 although a little dark. I'm not sure why, but when my eyes first hit it, the umbrellas put off a real human characteristic. Like an army standing at attention.
 
yeah number 1 is good, but due to the lack of a tri-pod here at college, it isn't as great blown up because i had no surface to put it on
 
#1 has some nice lighting, but is compositionally lacking (there is some distracting extra space on the left).

#2 is one of my favorites of the lot. Except for the wall(?) that appears in the lower left of the frame, this shot has really cool lighting. Unfortunately, you were not able to get the entire tree into the frame (I assume that there is another tree above it that would have ruined the composition.)

#3 is very nice. However, once again, the composition could do with some work. As the viewer, what are we supposed to be looking at? I think your main subject was the lights and the trees. But I think you would have gotten a better image if you had focused on one tree (perhaps being silhouetted by the heavy backlight?), instead of however many you could fit in one frame.

#4 is compositionally very good. There is nothing really wrong with this image. However, it could use a bit more of a subject, but it's not really a problem in this photo.

#5 is the least good of all the pictures in my opinion. The shot is overexposed, and the tree at the left is distracting, and the composition is not powerful or striking. I would recommend trying to get a better angle next time. Maybe try getting further away so you can comfortably get the entire building in the shot.

Overall, I really think you have some great ideas with that early morning artificial light in the first few pictures, but you need to execute them better by working on your composition. For example, before taking your shot, make sure that there are no avoidable distractions (walls, tree branches, etc.)

btw, I'm sorry if I was too harsh.... :(
 
i also like #3...i can actually think of a perfect spot for it in my house
 
Off topic, but was contemplating going to UCLA when I was still back at school.... never happened though!
Nice shots, no 1 my fav of the lot.
Whats with all the different colour lights in #2?
 
snaremop - i loved your comments. you weren't harsh at all, because I appreciate criticism.
as for shot 2 - that's just how the lighting came out when i took the shot.
thanks for all your comments!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom