What's new

Ultra wide angle lens

Cheesy_DSLR_Man

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 14, 2009
Messages
79
Reaction score
2
Location
Liverpool, UK
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I'm looking at getting a new lens in the next day or two and I wanted to hear what people thought of the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM lens?

Looking for it for landscape photography mainly so the f/4-5.6 doesn't bother me to much, but just wanting to hear some user experience from this lens. I know there are other UWA lenses available but it's just cost really as I'm looking a buying another lens in a few weeks, but then again should I really compromise on quality for price, hmmmmm
 
I don't have the sigma, but I did research UWA zooms not long ago and settled on the Tokina 11-16 based on sharpness and the character of the distortion, and at the expense of CA. If I remember, the sigma lenses were about as sharp, better with CA, but had distortion that was more obvious. Canon's 10-22 was far too soft for me to learn anything else about it : )

The lens that I almost bought instead of the Tokina was the Sigma 8-16, was actually a tough decision. 3mm wider, and wicked sharp, but weird moustachey distortion, and doesn't accept filters. I would've dealt with the distortion in that lens if could put an ND on it.

hope some of that is helpful
 
analog.universe said:
I don't have the sigma, but I did research UWA zooms not long ago and settled on the Tokina 11-16 based on sharpness and the character of the distortion, and at the expense of CA. If I remember, the sigma lenses were about as sharp, better with CA, but had distortion that was more obvious. Canon's 10-22 was far too soft for me to learn anything else about it : )

The lens that I almost bought instead of the Tokina was the Sigma 8-16, was actually a tough decision. 3mm wider, and wicked sharp, but weird moustachey distortion, and doesn't accept filters. I would've dealt with the distortion in that lens if could put an ND on it.

hope some of that is helpful

Thanks thats really helpful as I have been reading reviews on the tokina 11-16, just thinking that that focal length might be a little constricting, hmm can see this is going to be a tough decision to make
 
Am also in the process of selecting and buying one for my Nikon 5100 . Please share your final decision and experience

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using PhotoForum
 
Am also in the process of selecting and buying one for my Nikon 5100 . Please share your final decision and experience

I ended up buying the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 at a bargin of a price on ebay. I got it yesterday and so far im very impressed with it, i was expecting a cheap plastic feeling lens but it's far from that. It's got a nice weighty feel, zoom ring and focus ring nice and smooth. The focus is silent, you can hardly hear it when it is auto focusing. i plan to go out to the beach for the sunset tonight and test it out, so will upload a pic or two once im back and let you see the quality.

If you can find this lens at a good enough price i would recommend jumping on it as you won't be disappointed
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom