Under $200 DSLR Suggestions

hotdrop

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm hoping to get some help on picking out an ultra low budget USED entry DSLRs+Lens+possible accessories. I'm looking to get a digital camera + lens that I will use to document my small projects and my woodworking creations and things that im selling on ebay (Expect to do no more that another 5k shutter snaps). I'm a pretty technical guy and I'm capable of replacing parts and soldering if necessary but it would have trouble diagnosing a problem common to internal circuitry unless it was well documented (then no problem).

I will mostly be shooting objects and medium to close range, indoors under less than ideal lighting conditions (florescent lights shop lights or house lights). I think 6MP would be plenty and I could even go as low as 3 as long as it has high quality/large sensor. I don't need a fast auto focus and could probably even live without it as long as the manual focus is not finicky. My photography experience is limited to a few classes I took in high school shooting and developing B&W photos.

I live in the Seattle area so there is a decent availability of cameras locally on CL.
Here are some I was looking at are any of those good deals or should I look for something even with a better flash/tripod. I could also do body only but without a lens it would be hard to test and ensure it is working properly:

SB-20 Speedlight for $20 (good deal? or not?) http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pho/4307090677.html

D70S for $185 Nikon D70S DSLR Camera
D60 for $195 Nikon D60 10.2MP DSLR with 18-55mm lens
D40 for $185 Nikon D40
D80 Body $200 Nikon D80 SLR (this is a bit more then I want to pay)
Rebel XSI $190 http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pho/4301231571.html

Im not tired to Nikon those were just the better deals I saw

Last edited:
Definately a nikon? You could get a used 12mp Canon 1100D + IS lens fairly new (mine was £200 refurb, about 3000 snaps, so a good deal) So probably ~£300 for you (guess)to get the same refurb?

Honestly I don't think any of these are really going to suit your needs, at least not initially. The problem your running into is the "less than ideal" lighting condtitions, in other words you need either a fast lens, or a good external flash. Depending on what your taking pictures of you might be able to get by with the camera's internal flash at first, but honestly the results are not going to be good with the camera's pop up flash. You really need a good external. For most DSLR's you are probably looking at at least $100 for a less expensive Chinese version {Glancing around here for Derrel..} or usually at least a few hundred for a used nikon speedlight of some variety.

Most of your 1.8 prime lenses that you might be able to use without a flash will start at $150-$200 even used, so you'd end up having to spend a good portion of your budget on the lens. Unfortunately $200 just isn't enough of a budget to really take good pictures under those conditions.

"Cheap" and "less-than ideal lighting conditions" are a really, really tough combination. It sounds like you're shooting stuff that won't be moving, which might be your saving grace if you can mount your camera on a tripod of some sort.

Other random thoughts:
* Pay attention to the minimum focus distance for any lens you pick up -- if you're shooting small stuff, you may be right on the edge of needing a macro lens.
* I'm also guessing that if you're shooting stuff for ebay, you may be looking for something like a mini softbox (so your product appears on a white background).

If you can scare up an example of the sort of photo you're trying to produce, we might be able to break down how to achieve it.

Great photos of woodworking projects is mostly going to happen based on using good photographic lighting.

With good lighting, your cell phone camera is probably sufficient.

So like you had to learn woodworking skills, you really should learn some photographic lighting fundamentals.
an inexpensive book that covers those fundamentals is - Light Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting

Of the cameras you mention I would recommend the D70S, and a well cared for used tripod.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
"Cheap" and "less-than ideal lighting conditions" are a really, really tough combination. It sounds like you're shooting stuff that won't be moving, which might be your saving grace if you can mount your camera on a tripod of some sort.

Other random thoughts:
* Pay attention to the minimum focus distance for any lens you pick up -- if you're shooting small stuff, you may be right on the edge of needing a macro lens.
* I'm also guessing that if you're shooting stuff for ebay, you may be looking for something like a mini softbox (so your product appears on a white background).

If you can scare up an example of the sort of photo you're trying to produce, we might be able to break down how to achieve it.

Quick thought to the OP - if the picture isn't one you took yourself and hold the copyright too, make sure to just post a link to it rather than posting it directly to the forum. It will save you a lot of heartache, trust me.. lol.

Quick thought to Lambert & the OP - I'm wondering if given the stated budget and the rather low requirement you stated for MP if perhaps a used bridge camera or even a half way decent point and shoot might not be a better option than a DSLR - either way your going to need some sort of lighting or a good flash unit but with the budget limitations I'm wondering if perhaps we shouldn't be looking at those as viable options as well.

Quick thought to the OP - if the picture isn't one you took yourself and hold the copyright too, make sure to just post a link to it rather than posting it directly to the forum. It will save you a lot of heartache, trust me.. lol.

Quick thought to Lambert & the OP - I'm wondering if given the stated budget and the rather low requirement you stated for MP if perhaps a used bridge camera or even a half way decent point and shoot might not be a better option than a DSLR - either way your going to need some sort of lighting or a good flash unit but with the budget limitations I'm wondering if perhaps we shouldn't be looking at those as viable options as well.

Among other things, bridge cameras are often pretty good at macros, too.

Used Canon G9

$40 Canon Tripod

In my opinion this would be your best $200 option. And as others said do some self educating on lighting setups. You can probably use some lights from around the house.

Agree with KmH.
I tried or bought all the Nikons you listed,except the d60, and borrowed my wifes Canon to learn to take pics of fishing lures for my website and ebay.
The d70 is what I kept,but any one of those bodies will do just fine. And with the exception of picking up an almost new d200 for dirt cheap, have been spending the rest of my time and money on speedlights,old used monolights,modifiers,and anything else I need to learn how to light products.
A good tripod and head is an absolute necessity for me too.

I'd pick the D60 for the better sensor than the D70s has. And the LENS you get with the D60. The D70s on the other hand, has the in-body focus motor, and the ability to synchronize flash at up to its TOP shutter speed.

The D60 on the other hand, has no in-body focus motor, and only synchs flash up to 1/250, but it has a newer sensor and it can take ANY F-mount lens, even the pre-Ai models.

Your needs are pretty mundane; small products do NOT need a lot of megapixels to look great: when you shoot a 300 x 200 meter wide landscape at 1/4 mile away, you need 24 to 36 million pixels to make a high-rezz shot; when you photograph a 3 foot by 2 foot tabletop shot from five feet away, 6 to 10 million pixels spread over such a SMALL AREA is still pretty "high-rezz".

I kind of like the jazzier color of the later D40 and D60 over the more muted look of the D70 and D70s.

I had a D40, D70S, and D80. The D80 blew the D70S out of the water. For only 5 more than the D60, D80 is your best bet.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I agree my needs are pretty mundane and that's why im not sure how much bang for my buck i would get from a better body. I was thinking that I would get more bang for the buck from a better lens or a flash. For this kind of use should i be looking for a 18-55 kit lens or should I get a simple body and spend the extra money on a 55mm lens? Or should I really consider getting a external flash and if so what should i look for in a flash?

Robbins: I dont see anything wrong with a point and shoot or a bridge camera for this use if it would make more sense. I just simply assumed the size of a DSLR lens and sensor it would be hard to match the same amount of light capture, older DSLR bodies suitable for this application seem pretty cheap its just a matter of getting appropriate lenses and light sources.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I agree my needs are pretty mundane and that's why im not sure how much bang for my buck i would get from a better body. I was thinking that I would get more bang for the buck from a better lens or a flash. For this kind of use should i be looking for a 18-55 kit lens or should I get a simple body and spend the extra money on a 55mm lens? Or should I really consider getting a external flash and if so what should i look for in a flash?

Robbins: I dont see anything wrong with a point and shoot or a bridge camera for this use if it would make more sense. I just simply assumed the size of a DSLR lens and sensor it would be hard to match the same amount of light capture, older DSLR bodies suitable for this application seem pretty cheap its just a matter of getting appropriate lenses and light sources.

Oh don't get me wrong, the DSLR would be a much better choice for lower light because of the larger sensor, but really under these conditions to get good photos even with a DSLR you'll need either an external flash unit of some sort or a faster prime which is going to put you over budget in both cases. You can probably find a used bridge and a flash that will work for it for closer to your listed budget of $200. Really if your looking to go DSLR I'd probably go with the D60 and maybe look at getting a yongnuo external flash to go with it, it will put you over budget but would probably give you the best results in the long run.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back