The_Traveler

Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Went to the 150th Anniversary reenactment of Battle of Cedar Creek and Belle Grove. (the history in the pamphlet is well worth reading at this link.)

p637472503-5.jpg

Many, many reenactors and onlookers (I mean many, probably in the thousands). People from as far as Georgia and Michigan.
My intent was to get some pictures that suggested the hard life of a common soldier. Although there was great access, in comparison to the pictures of the day, these people were way too happy and healthy.

Lots of documentary shots.
Great experience, well worth the drive.
I stood with a great busload of tourists from Great Britain who were on a Civil War battlefields tour for two weeks.

So far, this is the only shot that I liked much.
The original just looked too normal.
exif10-18-2014 6-56-22 PM.jpg

p692208612-4.jpg

Last edited:
Lew. I like the first pic better. Looks more like the period. Ed

I love the first one as well! Never been to one of the reenactments but would love to one day. I just don't like the huge crowds.

I love the first one as well! Never been to one of the reenactments but would love to one day. I just don't like the huge crowds.

Yes, the crowds are annoying but ot is sort of heart warming that so many people are interested.

First one is way better. Great job on it.

We had an assignment from our local Camera Club to shoot documentary but 'real' pictures just didn't fit. Everyone looked too healthy and happy and the uniforms were too clean.
I'm going to end up editing about 40 of them into a period look.

Yes, the crowds are annoying but ot is sort of heart warming that so many people are interested.

First one is way better. Great job on it.

We had an assignment from our local Camera Club to shoot documentary but 'real' pictures just didn't fit. Everyone looked too healthy and happy and the uniforms were too clean.
I'm going to end up editing about 40 of them into a period look.
Thanks for sharing. Lovely head shot of the Union soldier--nicely done.

Totally agree about the "health" of most reenactors. Many of them are quite overweight--you rarely see any that are skinny. Looking forward to seeing the other edits.

I'm not American so perhaps I lack the emotional connection, however I prefer the original. The sepia seems forced and doesn't resemble, in my view, anything authentic from that period.

I like the idea of using a sepia tone but I think the sepia tone you used is a bit heavy.

I like the first one as well Lew. I wonder if adding some noise to the image or maybe softening it just a little might make it look a little more authentic.

Last edited:
I like the sepia tones of the first one Lew

I like the sepia, beautiful shot. And I agree with adding a little grain, it could help with the period look ?

I shot a small reenactment last year. Trying to keep modern items out of the shots was a challenge and the soldier with the NASCAR t-shirt, he was an issue :biglaugh:

I like the sepia, beautiful shot. And I agree with adding a little grain, it could help with the period look ?

I shot a small reenactment last year. Trying to keep modern items out of the shots was a challenge and the soldier with the NASCAR t-shirt, he was an issue :biglaugh:

Yeah, sometimes those can make for humorous shots. I got one of a great Confederate re-enactor at Monocacy...wiry beard, scarecrow thin, pretty authentic gear, and during his lunch break he was drinking from a can of Coke!

the subjects suffer from much the same fate as the photo. Too clean and well fed.

While sepia is accepted as moden shorthand for 'old time feel,' contemporary photography would have been neither grainy nor particularly sepia toned.

This is not intended as a criticism of either the photo or the treatment. Just a statement of some historical facts.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back