What's new

Unique Portraits

inTempus

TPF Noob!
Joined
Dec 15, 2008
Messages
3,692
Reaction score
4
Location
Indiana
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I was thinking about mixing things up a bit with a portrait tonight. I called my buddy and coxed him into being my guinea pig with the promise of beer and being able to play COD Modern Warfare 2.

I wanted to take a different approach, mostly by using lighting and very shallow depth of field to get something a little unique or out of the ordinary (at least for me).

Here's the result.

Thoughts?

726479789_argTq-XL.jpg
 
Last edited:
Its neat, but it gives the feeling that he's leaning his head forward from his body like an ostrich.
 
The first image as my first attempt at the concept. After going through the set I learned what I liked and didn't like about the first attempt. I had my buddy come back over today to reshoot and I applied what I learned to this second shot.

This is exactly what I was going for.

726880206_Utvi9-XL.jpg
 
Looks better. What did you do different?
 
It look like a mug shot. A superbly done mugshot.... but still a mughot. Which is weird because the first shot doesn't. That 1/4 smile makes the difference I guess.
 
guys got an interesting face, could have used some powder though hes very shinny, however he doesnt look like the kind of guy that would take kindly to that sugestion
 
guys got an interesting face, could have used some powder though hes very shinny, however he doesnt look like the kind of guy that would take kindly to that sugestion

I think that adds to it. It just feels real and raw to me. We're so saturated with 'airbrushed' (read: photoshopped) models these days that it's refreshing to see a well done portrait of a real person. Great job.
 
I'm not really sure if it's the right word to use, but it looks like there's a lot of intensity in his face. I really like what you did here.
 
I like the concept. Almost like I'm wearing 3D glasses. Definitely more interesting than a flat image. Are you considering using this technique in regular shoots?
 
I like the first shot better. The high angle and small DOF really make it different.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom