Unknown device, please help

irmadcow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,
Found this shoe adapter (marked canon) with a bunch of my Dads old Canon stuff. I cant find its purpose for the life of me :-( Thank you for any help!
20160816_201550.jpg 20160816_201540.jpg

I could be wrong, but I believe that pin you see in the left photo is where you plug a cable that the other end would plug into your camera. This would have allowed you to take your flash off camera. (Today this is done wireless)

Do a search for sync cords. You'll see examples of them.

I am not familiar with film Canons, but if that hotshot was stamped with 'Nikon', it would slip over the film rewind crank and provide your professional level, non-hotshoe equipped camera with a hotshoe. The pin connects the hotshoe to the camera's circuitry to sync the flash to the shutter release.

Similar to top end digital cameras which don't come with an on-board flash, many top end film cameras did not have a built-in hotshoe. Most pros back then preferred a flash bracket.

I was thinking the same thing, that it's probably a hot shoe for earlier cameras that didn't have a hot shoe. I don't think I have a Canon early enough to not have one but have a Konica that's from maybe the '60's that doesn't have a hot shoe.

You could look up the virtual Canon Museum.

And happened to think, I do have an F1 that was a 'pro' level SLR that doesn't have a hot shoe. I think SLR's by then usually had them but being a camera intended for pros they would have been less likely to use an onboard camera flash.

I could be wrong, but I believe that pin you see in the left photo is where you plug a cable that the other end would plug into your camera. This would have allowed you to take your flash off camera. (Today this is done wireless)

Do a search for sync cords. You'll see examples of them.

That is possible, though the pin is spring loaded. Would seem odd that a power pin would be like that. Plus it is really close to the side, almost too close to plug something in. I had thought of that as well. Definitely is meant to create a shoe. Thank you very much for taking the time to reply!

I was thinking the same thing, that it's probably a hot shoe for earlier cameras that didn't have a hot shoe. I don't think I have a Canon early enough to not have one but have a Konica that's from maybe the '60's that doesn't have a hot shoe.

You could look up the virtual Canon Museum.

And happened to think, I do have an F1 that was a 'pro' level SLR that doesn't have a hot shoe. I think SLR's by then usually had them but being a camera intended for pros they would have been less likely to use an onboard camera flash.
I have an F-1 as well and thought it may be for it, but I thought that the F-1s had shoes attached to the replaceable viewfinders. My F-1 does not have a hot shoe which is why I was thinking in that direction.

There are several ads on ebay listing an item identical to yours and they are all described as hot shoe flash adapter for Canon F1.

There are several ads on ebay listing an item identical to yours and they are all described as hot shoe flash adapter for Canon F1.
Ok, I must have missed them. I must have not been using the right key words, just kept seeing hundreds of other shoe adapters. That makes total sense, I was going to check out my F1 again, but have a bad back at the moment and hadn't gotten a chance yet. Thank you very much for your input!

Most reactions

Back