untitled

white

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
From a pinhole camera I made for school. I didn't spend a lot of time finding cool subjects because it was really tedious to have to reload the camera with photo paper after each exposure. This is from my front yard. The focal length was about 35mm if I had to guess. I'd prefer to have something wider. I'm hooked, though. Probably going to build another one.

Neg is pretty gray; crop, curves, contrast in post.

5194149212_ec56f046c1.jpg

5193613231_38161a3b1e.jpg

Last edited:
Did you shoot in RAW?

8x8" box from hobby lobby, spray paint the interior flat black (as opposed to glossy or anything that will reflect light), and the distance from pinhole to film plane determines focal length, and the size of the pinhole depends on the focal length.

So initially I put the pinhole on one end of the 8x8 box, and the paper on the other end, and my measured focal length was something like 192mm. I was using 4x5" cut sheets of photo paper, basically the same as a large format negative, and the normal focal length for large format is something like 135mm. I don't know; never shot large format. The pinhole for that was like .020mm; a really thin sewing needle poked through a square piece of really thin brass.

Basically, not wide enough. So I divided the box in half with a cardboard divider and black electric tape (strictly ghetto, yo), and that cut my focal length to about 90mm. I had to create a new pinhole for the new focal length. This new one was about .014mm.

Sand the pinhole so it is nice and smooth, paint the interior side black, and it's basically good to go.

As far as knowing which size pinhole to make for which focal length, I have a handy cheat sheet that contains that information. I'm sure it can be found online.

To me, very cool. I like that you think out of the box. Pun intended.

Also funny seeing this thread after suggesting pin holing in another thread:lmao:

I like your work white. It's quite refreshing after seeing soooooooooooo many kidlet/maternity/wedding-portrait pics.

Hey, these are cool.

I'm going to make a pinhole camera, once this stupid semester ends and I have time for fun things. :)

Yeah, the second is terrific. Darken the other corners to match the upper right.

Most reactions

Back