Unusual antique photographic portrait on gauze

Hubsnbubs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello All,

i recently acquired an unusual piece and am struggling to find any other examples so wondered if anyone had any ideas?

It what appears to be a antique photographic portrait printed into a fine mesh/ gauze.
There are some hand painted details (dress button, highlights etc) and the whole piece measures 20” x 14”. It was once framed - the edges show the original colour of gauze / mesh. The whole thing is amazingly transparent when held up to the light.

Not sure of age or technique and can’t find another example. I have attached some images here, would love to hear anyone’s thoughts.

Thanks,

CJ
705C0B9B-9885-4BD9-9911-53CE6274E706.jpeg

765048A1-D120-4BE5-A071-F7270405E54D.jpeg
F02A3181-691C-463D-8B22-C3357C5B2044.jpeg
54C22395-91FC-4B49-8C98-3E6ADF50DBE3.jpeg

ps. No idea why some pictures are coming out sideways, sorry

Attachments

• 2C2B6538-0E23-457D-A995-8BBA9096A0C4.jpeg
    2C2B6538-0E23-457D-A995-8BBA9096A0C4.jpeg
    289.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 0FBC9CAF-9B33-490B-BC88-07765E9317CC.jpeg
    0FBC9CAF-9B33-490B-BC88-07765E9317CC.jpeg
    369.5 KB · Views: 61
How interesting! It's a lovely piece. I want to say it's old linen - but the weave on the close-up gives me pause. Could the image have been projected onto the cloth, I wonder?

Hopefully someone can weigh in with ideas.

Could the image have been projected onto the cloth, I wonder?

… or, in the days, there were some large optical benches where linen
previously wet with emulsion could fit on a standard IN the camera…
that would make it a projection too!

Nice piece. I've seen these types of prints before. A lady brought one in like that of her Mother that needed retouch (I do digital retouch at work). She said it was taken around 1910. Most common enlargements I see at work for retouch are on 13.5 x 19.5 ovals that are curved but some photographers did offer prints on cloth that would be stretched just like a painting around boards. Note the coloring would have been done by hand with oils.

Hello All,

i recently acquired an unusual piece and am struggling to find any other examples so wondered if anyone had any ideas?

It what appears to be a antique photographic portrait printed into a fine mesh/ gauze.
There are some hand painted details (dress button, highlights etc) and the whole piece measures 20” x 14”. It was once framed - the edges show the original colour of gauze / mesh. The whole thing is amazingly transparent when held up to the light.

Not sure of age or technique and can’t find another example. I have attached some images here, would love to hear anyone’s thoughts.

Thanks,

CJ
View attachment 249519
View attachment 249515View attachment 249516View attachment 249517
For being so large and on cloth, it's surprising how sharp the images are. Quite pleasing.

Nice piece. I've seen these types of prints before. A lady brought one in like that of her Mother that needed retouch (I do digital retouch at work). She said it was taken around 1910. Most common enlargements I see at work for retouch are on 13.5 x 19.5 ovals that are curved but some photographers did offer prints on cloth that would be stretched just like a painting around boards. Note the coloring would have been done by hand with oils.
I was hoping you'd weigh in here, Scotty. Pretty sure you'd have seen something like this! :)

That is lovely

Thanks everyone for replies and thoughts ❤️

Hello All,

Thanks,

CJ
View attachment 249519

Thanks,

CJ
View attachment 249519

Hello All,

Thanks,

CJ
View attachment 249519

Hello All,

Thanks,

CJ
View attachment 249519
I think I saw a modern version of this technique back in Oct. 2013 in a little museum on Long Island , NY. Right now I have no other information, but will try to get more about this. At the time I found it striking, and still do.

E83105AB-5A65-420C-84DD-5844B39FCFBC.jpeg

It's a hand coloured black and white photograph on PhotoLinen. This was a fine weave fabric coated with a gelatin silver emulsion. Exposure and processing was just like photographic paper. In the past most makers of photographic materials had a "photolinen" or similar product in their specialty lines. I notice that Vanbar in Melbourne, Australia has some for sale.

Most reactions

Back