Upgrade advice

Spirea

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys,

I don't want this to be another one of those "should I buy this or that" without providing any information.

I got my first DSLR two and a half a year ago

Canon T5/1200D with two kit lenses: EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II & EF 75-300 mm f/4-5.6 III

Later I bought Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 STM & Canon EF-S 10-18 mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM

I feel like I would benefit from better gear. I'm deciding whether to go with either

Sigma Art 18-35mm 1.8 ($800), keep my current body, and probably next year upgrade to Canon 80D or something in a similar price range.

or

Canon 6D ($1000), keep my 50mm 1.8 lens, and next year get an FF zoom lens.

It feels like it comes down to an expensive lens on a cheap body or a decent lens on an expensive body.

I'm still experimenting and learning (time to get into postprocessing!). I travel a lot, a few months I stay in national parks, next few months I move to a big city. I'm mainly interested in landscape and street photo. I'm not interested in shooting videos at all.

If you have any other suggestions what to buy I'm open to it. I was also playing with an idea of Sony A6300 or Nikon D7500 with Sigma Art 18-35mm.

Any suggestion or advice is much appreciated. In a few months, I'll be travelling to national parks in Canada and I would love to have new lens/body

Here are some of my photos (as I said, I consider myself a beginner):
Jakub Sladek

For a travelling\street photo i highly suggest you to think about smthng mirrorless.
It weighs much less and let you avoid unnecessary attention at the streets.

If video is not a big thing for you a Fujifilm way seems to be quite good idea.

Why a Fuji instead of Sony? Better battery life, better optics (except Zeiss), better colors, great jpeg engine.

Thanks for your reply. Sony A6300 with Sigma 18-35 is 1 215g that's more than 6D + 50mm (929g) or almost identical to 17-40 F4 (1245g). Any decent lens is bulky so I don't mind carrying around extra 200g more for a better body.

We can advise twenty different combinations but you should probably say what your own kit lacks for you, what do you hope to improve with upgrade

The 6d would be leaps and bounds better than your existing camera when iy comes to image quality. The 6d also has a very sensitive center focus point.

What I'm curious is whether I would even benefit from 6D + 17-40 F4 compared to 1200D + Sigma 18-35 1.8.
It's a bit strange comparison due a 6D has a full frame sensor while 1200d it's an entry level cropped camera. Do not waste your time researching a synthetic tests. Best in class low light performance in aps-c segment has a Sony a6500. 6d vs 1200d is a incomparable.

Why do you think about f/4 lense if care about low light shooting?

Strange comparison it is but having already 1200D it would be a cheaper upgrade just to get that Sigma and later this year 80D (or we'll see about 90D)

I've been told f/4 on FF performs like f/2.8 on crop.

What I'm curious is whether I would even benefit from 6D + 17-40 F4 compared to 1200D + Sigma 18-35 1.8.
It's a bit strange comparison due a 6D has a full frame sensor while 1200d it's an entry level cropped camera. Do not waste your time researching a synthetic tests. Best in class low light performance in aps-c segment has a Sony a6500. 6d vs 1200d is a incomparable.

Why do you think about f/4 lense if care about low light shooting?
I don't find it strange at all. One is comparing a faster lens and existing body with a slightly slower lens and a better body. It's just a comparison when trying to decide criteria.

I'm guessing from your post you own the Sony?

F4 is f4. f2.8 is f2.8. because a fullframe can be normally said to give one stop better noise performance and because of position etc it's often said f4 on fullframe is like f2.8 on a crop. But to get the full benefits of the bigger sensors you also need the good lenses.

Maybe look into a good second hand 6d with say a 24-105 f4 for general photography. The tokina 16-28 f2.8 is regarded as a good cost effective fullframe wide angle.

Having said that, the 80d with the sigma 18-35 should give a very appreciable performance boost on existing kit

I can get 6d + 17-40 or 80D + Sigma 18-35 for pretty much the same price.
I checked used 6d and a majority are around 800$ which is almost the price of new one.

I'd look at a different option than the 17-40 with the 6d

The 17-40 gives a fov of 17-40 on the 6d, the 18-35 gives a fov of 28-56 on the 89d

Most reactions

New Topics

Back