Upgrade time!

jwillink16

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum, but it looks like a great community here. I have dabbled in photography for about 3 years now with my entry level DSLR (pentax k-x). I have just been waiting for some extra cash to come my way so I can get more serious with it. That time has come! :) I've read the books, got a lot of hands on experience with some weddings/portraits/sporting events/etc. with my entry level dslr. My budget is $3000 and, as far as equipment goes, I want to start from scratch. I also want to do a lot of videos as well, mainly wedding short films and sporting events. In fact, videography is going to be my primary focus with photography as the secondary. Based on my research, in order to get off the ground and stay within my budget, here is what I am thinking

Camera - refurbished Canon 5d Mark II - $1759
Lenses - Need help!
Microphone - Rode VideoMic Pro VMP Shotgun - $229
Stabilizer - Polaroid Video Chest Stabilizer support system - $60
Memory card - Transcend 32 gb class 10 - $30
Flash - Sunpak PF30X/Digiflash 2800 E-TTL II - $65
Camera bag - $70
Battery pack - $67
Software - Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom CS3, Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 for video - Already own

Total left over to spend on lenses - $722

First of all, what do you think of my choices. I made my choices based solely on reviews I have read as well as samples I have seen and the overall perceived value since my budget is limited. Secondly, what would you recommend for lenses? I am hoping that my purchases will help to catapult an amateur photographer into a professional one as time goes on and I am able to build/replace more equipment. ANY words of advice is MUCH appreciated. Thanks!!!

Josh

For lenses id try to get a 24-70 ish lens i believe theyre all out of your budget though. Maybe get a tamron

If you're shooting with a full frame camera/5d mkII, the only glass that will do you justice is L glass. If I were you, with a budget of $722, I would pick up a used 24-105 f4L lens. You could probably find one for $750. Maybe less.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back