upgrading from XTi

SoMa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
my price range narrowed it down to 40d and 50d.

Ive been reading reviews on both and im still undecided.
Should i go with the 40d and save a few bucks and skip out on MP?
is the 50d's MP really worth it?

Ive been reading reviews (mainly the negative ones to find out what problems people have been having) and there seems to be a lot of soft focus issues. would it just be the lenses used on the cameras?

Or should I just keep my XTi and buy a great lens?

OR maybe just wait for a used 7d to come on the market?

sooooo confused! lol

I mainly shoot family events and some studio stuff. still hobbying but looking to progress in time.

Any help would be useful!

The 40D & 50D are pretty similar, but the 50D has a bunch of new technology (next generation processor etc). Obviously the 50D has more Megapixles, but I wouldn't put too much stock into that (unless you make LARGE prints).

What are you really hoping to get out of an upgrade? What lenses do you have now? Spending money toward high quality lenses is usually the better upgrade, unless you specifically need a feature that the newer/better camera has.

The 50D sports micro-adjustment and a better LCD screen that, to some, are worth the extra price. I still have my 40D and love the images it produces. I would be tempted to save some cash and put it towards lenses by getting the 40D, but m/a and the lcd my swing you to the 50D.

when i upgraded from the xsi to the 50d i was initially looking at the 40d. however, after comparing the differences and seeing that the 50d was only $100 i opted for that route.

looking at amazon now it looks like new 40d's are $1300 versus $920 for the 50d. so your cheaper route may still be the 50d. this is body only prices by the way.

thanks for the input everyone. I picked up a 50d a few weeks ago and loved the way it felt in my hands. (not to mention all the other upgrades from the xti)

I have been leaning more towards the 50d though. we shall see whats in store i suppose!

by picked up i mean only physically held one..... not purchased

dpreview.com 40D/50D image tests

RAW
Canon EOS 50D Review: 25. Compared to (RAW): Digital Photography Review

JPEG
Canon EOS 50D Review: 21. Compared to (JPEG): Digital Photography Review

higher ISOs
Canon EOS 50D Review: 29. Compared to (Higher ISO): Digital Photography Review

..in dpreview's conclusion of the D50 in-depth review, they state these Cons with the 50D, compared to the 40D

"
High ISO performance worse than 40D
Reduced dynamic range in the shadow areas compared to EOS 40D
Per-pixel detail not as good as on good 10 or 12 megapixel cameras"

I went that exact route myself (XTi -> 50D) last June and I absolutely LOVE my 50D. Since purchasing, I haven't looked back. It has a better feel in the hands, a top LCD with all your useful info, has Live View, which greatly helps manual focusing, it shoots over twice the speed for burst shots, and has an image processor two generations newer.

If the price is right, it's definately a worthwhile purchase.

Most reactions

Back