Upgrading my 10D

ZyCzech

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello Friends,

I've been shooting with my Canon 10d for over a year or so and am definitely ready to upgrade.

Would it be worth it to make the jump to the 40d or should I look at the 30d?

Right now I have a couple walkaround lenses, nothing too fancy. Alternatively would I be better off using my money on a spiff L lens rather than a new body?

Thanks a lot,
ZyCzech

I would say get the 30D and save the money for some nice glass. I have the 30D and its a great body. You can pick up a used one for a great price now that the 40D has come out. For what I do the extra price of the 40D outweighs its advantages.

I am more inclined to agree.. and get 30D and put some money towards glass. The 8mp sensor is more than enough for 11x14 prints and at this point glass would be more beneficial.

I personally would go and find a really good deal on the 20D for even less. This would free up further funds for some nice glass. The biggest difference between the 20D and 30D is the spot metering so you'll have to decide how important that feature is to you. I figure if you went for years on a 10D it won't be a deciding factor.

I say, buy the best one you can...otherwise you will just end up wanting to upgrade sooner (like you are now).

The 40D is a significant upgrade from the 30D. (where as the 30D is basically just a 20D with minor upgrades). Even an upgrade from the 10D to the 20D would be a good idea...the 10D is practically a dinosaur. :er:

That being said, upgrading your lens could very well do more for your image quality than upgrading the body.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the advice. I'd appreciate any more anyone has to offer.

I'm just a Freshman in college, so the 10d was a great camera for me to start on without emptying my account.

I'd say it depends on what glass you already have, what type of shooting you primarily do, and how big you anticipate printing.

If you're doing sports photography and you're looking for higher FPS the 40D might be worth it.

If you're not thrilled with the quality or range on your glass that's definitely going to be your best investment.

In regard to printing keep in mind two things, how big, and what type of media. Lab prints or glossy photo paper will show off lower res significantly more then textured fine-art paper or canvas.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back