Upright Panoramic HDR (don't get excited lol)

Ernicus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Wanted to try someting. I like shooting upright pano's of churches with tall steeples. Then I thought "what if I did a hdr of one" So I took a million pictures and squished 'em all together for three different sets of pano's, then did a hdr merge.

To my surprise...I manged to get it all lined up not too terribly. I half expected a screen full of ghosted images and exposure mismatches.

The color one was ugly and boring so I converted to b&w, then edited it to make it kinda cool.

It will be painfully obvious to those who do hdr's, I did not spend much time on the processing, mostly wanted to see if it'd work. hence the posting in the "just for fun" section.

without further ado...here's my crappy upright pano hdr . lol. (not much else to do on a rainy day)

$Untitled_HDR2-2.jpg

Did you convert to B&W before doing HDR or did you do HDR then convert to B&W?
I'd like to see a non-HDR version of this for comparison.

I made 3 separate files 1 underexposed pano(2 files), one normal exposed pano (2 files), and 1 overexposed pano (2 files), I then used those 3 files to make the HDR.

I only used 2 files to make it quicker as it was kind of a test run, also I like the crazy perspective it gave.

Here is the mid range pano shot un cropped and un edited.

*edit*
my computer is having fits..need to restart then i'll have image up.

Here is a regular pano I did as well, using program mode. I was testing use of program mode vs. manual after going through a course on different modes.

$Untitled_Panorama1bw-1.jpg

hijack away, it's cool. it's here in the just for fun as it's not a serious thread.

I don't have any large/tall buildings here, so i'm playin with what I have. I want to do a very tall building eventually to get the full effect as in a course i watched showed.

I like that image, thats pretty cool.

I did portrait because I didn't like the surrounding area. When I get a real building, i'll do landscape. Ideally, I don't want to see the top/sky when I do it, gives a cool perspective.

What I was interested in knowing is whether your steps converted to B&W first (for each of the three shots in the stack) or converted to HDR first (converted the color HDR to B&W).

Here is a regular pano I did as well, using program mode. I was testing use of program mode vs. manual after going through a course on different modes.

View attachment 10530
I'd like to see this one with the sky darkened to stormy, and the glare in the windows polarized and/or masked out (reflection of the story sky would work).

Also check to see if your pano software can do perspective adjustments to make it look more like a tilt-shift was used (e.g. parallelize the building lines). There are a lot of possibilities here.

What I was interested in knowing is whether your steps converted to B&W first (for each of the three shots in the stack) or converted to HDR first (converted the color HDR to B&W).

oh, my bad. Everything was done in color. I converted the final hdr fiile to b&w.. I feared if I converted to b&w first i'd not have done the same things and it would been a mess...even more of a mess I should say. lol.

View attachment 10530
I'd like to see this one with the sky darkened to stormy, and the glare in the windows polarized and/or masked out (reflection of the story sky would work).

Also check to see if your pano software can do perspective adjustments to make it look more like a tilt-shift was used (e.g. parallelize the building lines). There are a lot of possibilities here.

Funny thing, it actually was stormy skies, lol. I messed it up when editing.

I use adobe cs6, so I'm sure it does what you are suggesting. I kept all the original raws so i'll play with it some more. Thanks.

Most reactions

Back