Used Canon Rebel (300D)

Epidemik

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm planning on buying a camera between now and summer. Ive been lurking the form and researching D40 vs Rebel. Being a sophomore (high school) just getting into photography with limited funds, I hit up craigslist to see if there were any used cameras locally. There was only one DSLR. Its a Canon Rebel 300D. He said he purchased it in 2003 and it "has some signs of wear".

How much has the Rebel changed in the past 5 years?
Is $300 a good deal for the camera?
Will newer lenses work with this older camera?
Will it suit my needs as a beginner photography?
What kinds of "wear" should I beware of?

Basically, I need some general advice about buying used cameras.

Thanks,
Jake

The Canon 350D, Rebel XT, can be bought new for $400 (body only), $450 with a kit lens. I think $300 is a bit high for a used Rebel.

Both have the same lens mounting and can older or new lenses.

Thanks for the reply.
What is new (features) to the 350D that were not included on the 300D?

It comes with a 28-105 lens btw.

Go to Bh Photo, one of the sponsors and search on the camera types. You can pull up the specs and compare them. I know that the 300D is 6mp whereas the 350D is 8mp, but I am sure there are a number of other differences in the cameras as well. You can also check the cost of a new 300D there.

I would definitely not buy a used 300D for $300 when you can get the 300D's updated versions for brand new for $450 w/the kit lens. Especially if the seller is going out of their way to mention there are signs of wear.

If you do decide to buy it, ask the seller how many shutter actuations it has if he knows. If it's on the high end, you probably don't want to buy it.

And I have a 300D. I wouldn't expect to get more than $200-250 for it if I'm lucky.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back