Using analog lens on DSLR?

I'm interested in picking up a vintage analog lens to put on my Canon t2i, I will be getting a Fotodiox m42 adapter. Obviously there will be no auto focus using an analog lens but will I be able to use live view for manual focusing or not? Does live view require interaction with the lens?

Thanks

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

All my lenses were bought for my film (analog) cameras. I didn't buy any lenses when I bought a DSLR body. They work perfectly, no adapter, full function. AF, metering and all.

All my lenses were bought for my film (analog) cameras. I didn't buy any lenses when I bought a DSLR body. They work perfectly, no adapter, full function. AF, metering and all.

All your film lenses are relatively new ones then, with I would expect nothing older than 1987. This is when the Canon introduced the EOS range, which is completely incompatible with its earlier FD (from 1971) and FL (from 1964) mounts, it's not possible to build an adapter for these older lenses to work on EOS without either loss of infinity or adding a teleconverter element.

If you want to adapt EOS AF lenses to another system an expensive electronic adapter will be needed to give aperture control, and special tricks are also needed to control aperture if reverse mounting the lenses for macro...

There are other possibilities than EOS though where your full support statement could be true (provided only lenses of a similar age have been brought) these other options generally give much better support of lenses older than the AF generation:

Pentax's K mounts support the full function the lens was designed to have on lenses from 1976 without the need for adapters and with a simple ring also supports M42 lenses dating back to 1949. Any K mount AF lenses (except for the world's first AF SLR lens for the ME-F) will have full function of modern K mount bodies.

Nikon's F mount can support native lenses as old as 1959 but this does depend a little on the model of camera some cameras do not support some series of lenses. The variants here can get a little confusing but it's certainly possible for DSLR bodies to support full functions of AF film lenses.

Sony's A mount is a successor to the Minolta/Konica AF mount (introduced 1985) so film AF lenses can be fully supported by that... I don't know if A mount bodies can be adapted the Minoltas earlier MF bayonet system (The SR mount was introduced in 1958). Unfortunately their short-lived Vectis range of APS film lenses do not appear to be adaptable to anything else - being electronically controlled for both aperture & focus simple adapters are not much use!

Most of my film lenses predate the existence of any SLRs with AF, so it would be asking a lot for my body to provide AF with them. However if I use a special teleconverter the camera will fine tune the focus on many of these MF lenses, and as mentioned above the body gives stabilization to them too. Of course metering etc work too, though some my require the lens to be stopped down first.

There are adapters for micro four thirds & probably other mirrorless systems that support all the electronic functions of EOS lenses, these are available in both straight through & focal reducer variants effectively giving 2 lenses for each EOS lens. Taking the adapter of allows the native range of lenses to be used, and if you have a particular lens you are keen on using (including those old FD lenses) there are generally adapters without corrective lenses available for them too...

I have a lens from circa 1975. I have used it on my dSLR without issue other than the lens doesn't meter in the camera.

I have a lens from circa 1975. I have used it on my dSLR without issue other than the lens doesn't meter in the camera.
Well, it's the camera that meters, not the lens! Your camera should still be able to meter with any (or no) lens attached.

To quote Big Mike: "Lenses are not Digital!"

Well, the GLASS COMPONENTS aren't digital, but the electronics contained in the lens certainly are.
dig·i·tal
ˈdijidl/
adjective
adjective: digital
(of signals or data) expressed as series of the digits 0 and 1, typically represented by values of a physical quantity such as voltage or magnetic polarization.
relating to, using, or storing data or information in the form of digital signals.
"digital TV"
involving or relating to the use of computer technology.
"the digital revolution"
(of a clock or watch) showing the time by means of displayed digits rather than hands or a pointer.
relating to a finger or fingers.​
Origin
upload_2017-2-5_12-6-55.png

late 15th century: from Latin digitalis, from digitus ‘finger, toe.’

The electronics are electro-mechanical in nature.

Well, the GLASS COMPONENTS aren't digital, but the electronics contained in the lens certainly are.
dig·i·tal
ˈdijidl/
adjective
(of signals or data) expressed as series of the digits 0 and 1, typically represented by values of a physical quantity such as voltage or magnetic polarization.
relating to, using, or storing data or information in the form of digital signals.
"digital TV"
"the digital revolution"
(of a clock or watch) showing the time by means of displayed digits rather than hands or a pointer.
Origin
View attachment 134486

So the 1's and 0's the lens sends to the camera and the 1's and 0's the camera sends to the lens aren't digital?

So there must not be any DSLRs either, since the electronics in 'digital' cameras are electro-mechanical in nature as well.

So there must not be any DSLRs either, since the electronics in 'digital' cameras are electro-mechanical in nature as well.
Except that the 'D' in DSLR refers to the structure of the image files, not the circuitry in the camera or lens. Otherwise my EOS 5 film camera would be digital as it uses the same system to control the lenses as DSLRs do!

dig·i·tal
ˈdijidl/
adjective
"digital TV"
"the digital revolution"
Origin
View attachment 134486

So the 1's and 0's the lens sends to the camera and the 1's and 0's the camera sends to the lens aren't digital?

Lenses send no 0's or 1's to the camera nor does the camera send 0's or 1's to the lens. Those are electric impulses. The Digital in DSLR is because of the Sensor that records the projected image in the binary form of 0's and 1's. No Sensor, no DSLR. Sensor in the camera then you have a DSLR as you have a camera built upon the Single Lens Reflex system containing a Digital Sensor.

Strictly, the sensor is not digital. The sensor output is converted to digital by an a/d converter.

Lenses send no 0's or 1's to the camera nor does the camera send 0's or 1's to the lens. Those are electric impulses. The Digital in DSLR is because of the Sensor that records the projected image in the binary form of 0's and 1's. No Sensor, no DSLR. Sensor in the camera then you have a DSLR as you have a camera built upon the Single Lens Reflex system containing a Digital Sensor.

I'm confused. "Electric impulses" are not 'digital'? Then how does the camera know, for instance, I have a 70-200 Version I attached to it? Does the lens not send a string of 1's and 0's to the camera? Does the camera not send a string of 1's and 0's to the focus motor in the lens?

What about aperture.......especially with Nikon's new E lenses? Does the "E" stand for "Eh, you don't get it"?

https://nikonhacker.com/wiki/Lens_Serial_Interface

Well, it's the camera that meters, not the lens! Your camera should still be able to meter with any (or no) lens attached.
I agree that the camera has the meter, however there is no metering with the older lenses on the D40; I have to use an external (or another camera).

All of my lenses are Mid-1980's and earlier. They have not exploded yet.

You'll have to get used to stop down metering, which is actually more precise, but it is a bit inconvenient. Everything will be much slower, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Unless you're photographing an ADHD eight year old. Though, I doubt that even a 7D could keep up with him.

I'm confused. "Electric impulses" are not 'digital'? Then how does the camera know, for instance, I have a 70-200 Version I attached to it? Does the lens not send a string of 1's and 0's to the camera? Does the camera not send a string of 1's and 0's to the focus motor in the lens?

What about aperture.......especially with Nikon's new E lenses? Does the "E" stand for "Eh, you don't get it"?

Lens Serial Interface - Nikon Hacker
Simple answer: NO

Most reactions

New Topics

Back